How to fix a stuck power button on iPad?

Reaction score
Hello Everyone,

I am not too sure if anyone else has encountered this problem, but my iPad's power button is stuck and will not "click" as usual, allowing me to manually put the iPad in sleep mode.

Recently, it fell from my lap which was only around two feet and landed on the floor. I caught it just before the full impact, but DANCING NAKED PONIES out of luck, it landed on the power button.

Now it's stuck in there and it won't respond at all. The iPad works fine. I am still able to take it out of sleep mode by pushing the home button, but now I have rely on its 2 minute sleep process. Also, I am unable to perform resets manually.

Could anyone advise on this situation. I have been told to take my iPad apart, however, I am neither a pro or an idiot to do something with my novice skills.

Thanks!

C

chas_m

Take it to your local Apple dealer (independent or corporate, but make sure it someone who does repairs on Macs -- ie, not Best Buy!). They should be able to finagle it unstuck for you.

OP
S
Reaction score
Unfortunately, there are no Apple Retailers in my current location . . . Guam.

I really need a self help kind of answer so that I may remedy it myself.

Sending it off is out of the question as well. Thanks though.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2 iPod Touches and iPad
Unfortunately, there are no Apple Retailers in my current location . . . Guam.

I really need a self help kind of answer so that I may remedy it myself.

Sending it off is out of the question as well. Thanks though.
Why is sending it off out of the question? You dropped it and you broke it. With all due respect, if you try to fix it yourself, you risk causing even more damage to the unit and then you really will be out of luck.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 13", 3Gs, iTouch and iClassic.
This happened to me with my iPod Touch, though my solution may be able to help.

I used a paper clip to pull it up and it somehow sprang back into place, if you are a 3G iPad owner, perhaps you have the little clip that is used to remove the sim plate?

Good luck!

Oliver

Reaction score
Same thing happened to me... did you fix this?

The exact same thing happened to me yesterday.. I tried using the blade of a knife to pry it back up, but it is stuck there.

If you were able to fix this, I would really like to know how.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
-->
Without the right tools you are going to tear that thing up and regret every last second of that decision. Removing the display is a delicate procedure and the retaining clips can be broken in the process.

Keep yourself happy and send it to an authorized repair shop.

Reaction score
If you don't mind secretly voiding your warrantee, you could jailbreak it and then use activator to set sleep to holding the home button

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.