firewire problem

T

tim malster

i'm using a g5 imac. all was well but tonight my firewire ports have stopped working properly. when I plug my ipod or lacie drive in they respond (lacie fires up & ipod starts charging), but the devices aren't recognised; i.e. can't see my drive or update ipod.

any suggestions?

I ran a herdware check and it says my logic board is fine...

help!!!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G5 Dual 2GHz (June 2004), 2.5GB, Airport, black 5G iPod 30GB, white MacBook 2.0 2GB
Do you have an iSight connected to your iMac? If yes, that causes the problem...
When the iSight is connected to my Mac, I can't sync the iPod, nor really use an external firewire drive, as it disconnects itself after a short while.
After Googleing a lot, I've found out that the iSight causes that trouble a lot...and when I disconnect it, no more problems with neither iPod nor external HD. They can even be connected at the same time.

I wonder why that still hasn't been fixed by Apple, as the problem is known since a while already.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.