Installed Office, curious about folder in apps grid

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" MBP 2.4GHz 4GB RAM, 32GB iPhone 3GS
OK here's probably a weird / easy one for you guys...

I just installed Office 2008. When I click the apps folder from the right side of the doc (viewing as grid), there is a folder in there labeled Office 2008. It has the programs in there (excel, word, etc), but it also has folders called 'additional tools' and 'office' with a bunch of files in them.

This is kinda annoying because it clutters up the grid with these folders I won't ever (as far as I know) need to access.

Question is: Is there a way to move this stuff and set it up so that word, etc is viewable from the apps grid directly rather than having to look at these folders and files in there? To me it seems sloppy looking.

Thanks guys!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
I don't get it. When viewing as a Grid, I don't see things inside the folders that are in my Applications Folder. I only see the items in the Applications Folder itself. (My OS is 10.5.8... you didn't mention yours.)

You can make a folder called Frequently Used Apps and place aliases of only the apps you want to see in it, then drag it to the right side of the Dock.

OP
D
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
In my apps folder I have a folder Office 2008. In that folder I have excel, word, ppt, Office (a folder which contains such files as startup, framework files, help, media, queries, lots of other stuff) and a folder called 'Additional Tools' which has a bunch of crap in it also.

It seems like this stuff should be "behind the scenes" type of stuff rather than sitting right there with all the other apps...

OP
D
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
BTW, OS 10.6.4 is what I have

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
In my apps folder I have a folder Office 2008. In that folder I have excel, word, ppt, Office (a folder which contains such files as startup, framework files, help, media, queries, lots of other stuff) and a folder called 'Additional Tools' which has a bunch of crap in it also.

It seems like this stuff should be "behind the scenes" type of stuff rather than sitting right there with all the other apps...

It is behind the scenes. Where else would you suggest it be put? Just place a shortcut for Word, Excel, PPT, on your Dock and open them from there. I never open Office apps from the Applications folder. Having all those other folders under the main "Microsoft Office 2008" folder consolidates everything in one place in a series of folders. Would you like it better if you had to hunt all over your hard drive for "Office Tools" or "ClipArt" or any of the other available options? Or, even worse, the uninstall folder?

Regards.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
Office application in icon view - Not what I'd call clutter.

Applications in icon view - Once again, not what I'd call clutter.

If you really want create another folder in Office called something like "Office Clutter" and then you'll have something like this:

;P

OP
D
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
OK fair enough. Just wanted to make sure I did everything right with the install and this setup was normal...

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Yep, quite normal. Just a quick remark here about Mac Office....

Has anyone ever taken a close look at how Office for Windows gets installed? Not only does it create more than 100 registry entries, but scatters files and identities everywhere. Mac Office is neater, more compact, and much easier to uninstall if the need should ever arise.

Regards.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

Yes, that's normal. As stated above, it is "behind the scenes" already. But...

When I click the apps folder from the right side of the doc (viewing as grid), there is a folder in there labeled Office 2008. It has the programs in there (excel, word, etc), but it also has folders called 'additional tools' and 'office' with a bunch of files in them.

This is kinda annoying because it clutters up the grid with these folders I won't ever (as far as I know) need to access.
You seem to be saying that when you click the Dock icon, you then see all those other things in a "grid" on your screen. That should not be. The term "grid" has a very specific meaning that computer savvy folks will automatically understand and assume to be what you're referring to, but I suspect that you're using that term incorrectly.

C

chas_m

No, he is using it 100% correctly. When clicking on a folder in the dock, you have the option of a "grid view," a " list view," a "fan view" and "automatic" (which picks one of the aforementioned options based on how many items in the folder).

Try it yourself, you'll see.

Reaction score
How to uninstall Mac Office 2008 after installing 2011

I am new to the MacForum and bought a iMAC recently. Still learning the ropes. When I bought the iMac, I also bought Mac Office 2008 then received the free upgrade for Mac Office 2011.

I installed 2011, now I have two sets of icons on the dock for both 2008 and 2011. How do I uninstall Office 2008?

Thanks for your help!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
There is an uninstaller in the 2008 package. If you run that it will no doubt uninstall Office 2011 also. Just drag the Office 2008 icon off the Dock.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Do as harry suggested. Do not attempt to use the Office 2008 uninstaller as it will result in the removal of 2011 also. When you installed Office 2011 it overwrote many of the files and folders previously used by 2008 anyway.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Try it yourself, you'll see.

How'd I miss this?

Yeah, I know what Grid View is. The OP seems to imply that he(?) sees all the other things inside of the folders he doesn't want showing when he views the Grid. That should not be, as I stated. When I click on a folder showing in Grid View, that folder opens in a Window. The Grid goes away. I don't see the contents of that folder in the Grid.

No matter. Apparently the problem was solved.

Reaction score
toMACsh: In Snow Leaoprd (10.6), you can drill down into folders without leaving the Grid view in the Dock. This is new compared to 10.5, which just opened any folder you clicked in the Finder.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ah ha! Whenever I don't think to include my OS in an attempt to help someone with a problem, it turns out to matter.

Reaction score
Thanks for your help re: uninstalling Office 2008

Harry and CHSCAG - I appreciate your help in replying to my question about uninstalling Office 2008. I won't do that, and will drag off the Office 2008 icons from the dock.

Mary Jo

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.