Weird things about my MacBook battery/recharger?

Reaction score
So my MacBook (first generation MacBook—so I can replace the battery if necessary!), has two weird things about it right now.

1) The recharger doesn't register either a green light or a red light, its just black (there seems to be a very faint green color to it). Sometimes I can get it to green/red, by putting it back in to the laptop, and after several times, it goes to green or red. The odd thing is is that when it is in this faint green color, it doesn't charge up or continue to deplete the battery, so for the last two hours, I've been able to use the laptop, and it says 0%.

2) (Happened today), when I managed to get the light on the recharger working (the green/red thing), it showed a green light, when it should show a red light (it is at 0%). Does this mean the battery is dead?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15in MBP 2.5GHz Core2Duo | 1.83Ghz Dual G5 PowerMac | 2.0 GHz Dual G5 PowerMac
For #2, the red light, is that on the recharger or the battery itself? The reason why you are able to use the laptop with it reading at 0%, is because it's running purely on AC power, which means that the charges is working, somewhat. Have you tried contacting Apple about this, and how much of your warranty is left? I have a feeling that there's something with the whole setup, or the computer itself, there might be something faulty with the wiring inside the motherboard, either with the charger connections or the battery connection.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
for #2, the red light, is that on the recharger or the battery itself? The reason why you are able to use the laptop with it reading at 0%, is because it's running purely on ac power, which means that the charges is working, somewhat. Have you tried contacting apple about this, and how much of your warranty is left? I have a feeling that there's something with the whole setup, or the computer itself, there might be something faulty with the wiring inside the motherboard, either with the charger connections or the battery connection.

drunk?

Reaction score
Looks like you have a bad power adapter. I've replaced 3 in the last two years. When adapters stop working, you will see a faint green light and your battery won't charge. If you live close to an apple store, ask them to plug your computer to another power adapter, if it charges, then your battery is probably ok.

F.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.