Some quick questions from a new Mac user

Reaction score
Hey, I just have a few questions about my Mac, and if anyone would be willing to answer them, that would rock.

1. Is there any way to equalize audio output? I want to use this thing to watch movies, but without an equalizer, I'll have to constantly raise the volume to hear people talk, and lower it so that gunfire doesn't murder my ears.

2. Is there a way to use the new IR remote to power on a Macbook? So I can set it in a shelf by my DVD player and not have to try partially opening it to press the power button.

3. Is there any way to have a single, unified bar at the bottom, like in KDE or Windows?

4. I'm thinking about using Boxee for its ten foot interface and Netflix, but if anyone has a better suggestion, I'm all ears.

Thanks for any help!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.8 GHz i7 MBA 11" OSX 10.8.2
OP
N
Reaction score
Alright, Boxee it is then. Thanks.

Also, for the equalizer, I want it to work for everything. Music, movies, the web browser, etc.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
3. You're using the Mac OS, not Windows.

OP
N
Reaction score
1. There are 3rd party apps for this, but the ones that work aren't free, such as this:
Sound Improvement for iTunes, Sound Enhancement for Mac, 3D Sound, Equalizer for Mac

Darn. Well, thanks anyway for the help.

3. You're using the Mac OS, not Windows.

Thanks for the elitist answer, but I wanted to free up some space as well as making it easier to select items, for when I use a mouse from 15 feet away. Also, if I were using Windows, the equalizer wouldn't be an issue, since I would just have to right click my speakers and activate it. But, then I'd have to buy another remote and it'll probably... uh... anyway, that wasn't the point.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.8 GHz i7 MBA 11" OSX 10.8.2
1. Is there any way to equalize audio output? I want to use this thing to watch movies, but without an equalizer, I'll have to constantly raise the volume to hear people talk, and lower it so that gunfire doesn't murder my ears.
Is not equal to

Also, for the equalizer, I want it to work for everything. Music, movies, the web browser, etc.
Hence my first answer off VLC as the first thing you wanted was movies.

3 - I pointed to that thread to show you my other answer - when you try to make Mac into Windows - you'll have a tough go of it. Use expose and application expose - it will be easier to find the windows you are looking for - especially from far away.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
Thanks for the elitist answer,
Not elitist at all. It simply isn't reasonable to try to get two totally different operating systems to behave the same way!

3 - I pointed to that thread to show you my other answer - when you try to make Mac into Windows - you'll have a tough go of it. Use expose and application expose - it will be easier to find the windows you are looking for - especially from far away.

What he said.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.