Can an iMac connect to a school network?

Reaction score
I just bought an older iMac on ebay for my classroom and I was wondering if it can connect to our network? We only have pc's on the network now.

Sorry if this questions seems vague, I'm not that tech savvy.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
An "older iMac" doesn't tell us a thing about which machine you have. Provide us with some details.... year? model? Which version of OS X?

Regards.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
I've moved your post to a more proper forum; please be sure to check the forum descriptions in the future to find the best place to post.

By posting in the right forum you help people not only find your question faster, but it helps others looking for the same information in the future.

Thanks for understanding!

OP
J
Reaction score
Lipkowitz It

17 INCH IMAC G5 2.0 GHZ 80GB HD 1GB RAM

PowerPC G5
Mac OS X 10.5, Leopard

Hope that helps! Sorry about posting in the wrong forum.

Our network is a professional school network (I really don't even know what I'm talking about honestly).

You need a unique long in and password to use the computers that are connected on the network and to use the internet (which is heavily blocked).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
Have you asked your school's network admins if Macs are compatible with the Network?

Your mac suppers ethernet and WiFi, but depending on how your school would have setup their ethernet authentication and network, it may or may not work.

Your best bet is to ask them.

OP
J
Reaction score
Thanks for the help -- we don't have tech people in our building, we use another school district so they're in and out every once in a while. I'll try my best to figure it out when school opens again.
Thanks again.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
How would you be connecting? A Network cable or Wirelessly?

It should work.

OP
J
Reaction score
It would be with an ethernet plug. I have 4 other PC's in my classroom connected using a router.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
The IT guys may not be of much help/have much interest in connecting the Mac to the school's network. I have found that often I will encounter someone who is oppressing on information/misconceptions that have not been true in years.

If they tell you that it cannot be done ask them to specifically explain why. Even if you don't understand the jargon perhaps we will at least be able to tell if the information you are given is accurate.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.