• This forum is for posting news stories or links from rumor sites. When you start a thread, please include a link to the site you're referencing.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM TO ASK "WHAT IF?" TYPE QUESTIONS.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM FOR ASKING QUESTIONS ABOUT HOW TO USE YOUR MAC OR SOFTWARE.

This is a NEWS and RUMORS forum as the name implies. If your thread is neither of those things, then please find the appropriate forum to ask your question.

If you don't have a link to a news story, do not post the thread here.

If you don't follow these rules, then your post may be deleted.

Is the iPhone coming to T-Mobile in Q3?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
AppleInsider | T-Mobile, Apple rumored to be in 'advanced talks' for Q3 iPhone launch

T-Mobile USA is said to be in discussions with Apple to bring the iPhone to the wireless carrier this fall, ending AT&T's exclusive hold on the handset, according to a new rumor.

Citing a "highly placed source" at T-Mobile, Leander Kahney at Cult of Mac reported Wednesday that the wireless carrier and Apple are in "advanced talks." He placed an 80 percent likelihood that the iPhone will become available on T-Mobile's network this fall.

Apple became interested because of the influence of T-Mobile's parent company, Deutsche Telekom, the source indicated. T-Mobile is the smallest of the four carriers in the U.S., with 33.7 million customers.

I still call it that T-mobile will get an iPhone before Verizon, it's just technically easier.

OP
schweb
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Just like AT&T or Verizon, there will be some places where a carrier won't be as good as others.

I think in general, Tmo has pretty good coverage in cities.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP Unibody 2.53Ghz 4GB RAM 250GB HD,VERIZON iPhone 4,SIG P238 ,iPad,6th Gen iPod NANO
Tmobile has been quietly building it's HSPA+ Network (speeds of up to 20Mbps) It's expected to be completed by 3rd quarter of this year, At that same time T-Mobile will unveil its first HSPA+-capable smartphone.... Who knows it very well likely could be the iPhone. Schweb is right the only difference now is the current iPhone lacks the 1700Mhz frequency Tmobile uses, It would be a very cheap modification for Apple. I'm sure Tmobile is more than willing at this point to bend over backwards and do anything for Apple to have a piece of the iPhone pie.

OP
schweb
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP Unibody 2.53Ghz 4GB RAM 250GB HD,VERIZON iPhone 4,SIG P238 ,iPad,6th Gen iPod NANO

Schweb it does kind of add up, Tmobible doesn't get a lot of attention but they have been working on this network for a while. The rumor is that iPhone will be available in Q3 of this year and Tmobile set to launch it's first HSPA+ Device in Q3, It's a strong possibility. Right now there current 3G network is just as strong where I live as At&t I did a side by side Speedtest with Nexus One (Tmobile) and 3G iPad (At&t) both are running right around 2.00-3.00Mbps

Also Tmobile in Germany has had the iPhone since the 1st generation came out, Now the very same CEO who negotiated the original iPhone deal with Tmobile Germany is now the current CEO of Tmobile USA Philipp Humm.

OP
schweb
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The funny thing is that their HSPA+ 3G network will be faster than Verizon's (and presumably AT&T's) LTE 4G networks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The funny thing is that their HSPA+ 3G network will be faster than Verizon's (and presumably AT&T's) LTE 4G networks.

I was in a Tmobile store yesterday and the sales rep was explaining to me that in some cities where HSPA+ is active, Users are getting download speeds of 7Mbps and that in time that speed can increase up to 40Mbps. He also said HSPA+ plans to cover almost 200Million by the end of 2010.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
I wouldn't mind if the iphone came to tmobile. The only thing I hate about tmobile has to do with the sales people, which seem to be secret drug dealers working as phone reps at a mall. They try to lure you into their booths. I would hate for them to pull the same antics with the iphone.

OP
schweb
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I wouldn't mind if the iphone came to tmobile. The only thing I hate about tmobile has to do with the sales people, which seem to be secret drug dealers working as phone reps at a mall. They try to lure you into their booths. I would hate for them to pull the same antics with the iphone.

That's not really different than any of the sleazy salesman for any of the carriers or "authorized" dealers.

I put those people one step above Best Buy associates on the moron scale.

The people that work at actual T-Mobile stores aren't bad, but I'm sure you'd be able to buy a Tmo iPhone from the Apple Store when they're available.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
Yeah, the regular store are fine, like all other cell phone stores, but I just really hate the people who sell tmobile phones from kiosks. I have never, ever, found a good one. If you ever get the chance, try talking to the ones at the Great Northern Mall. My last encounter went like this: "Yo man! Here's the deal. See this phone? Buy it, and I'll throw in this free bt headset!" I wanted the phone regardless(MDAv2) if he did or didn't give me that headset. At the end, when it came time to sign the papers, there was a charge of 83.XX for that headset. When I told him about it, he got so mad. Mad as in he was mad that I caught him trying to be sneaky. He then tried to make up some bs about how he had just gotten a text saying that they are no longer giving out free headsets. 1 day later, I had an iphone.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I've been a T-Mobile user now for about 2 years. Mostly because they're the most economical for our usage considering air time and charges. T-Mobile like other carriers have off the street salespeople at Malls, inside of Sam's Club, Costco, and even some other chain stores like Staples. The best place to deal with them is in their stores where the sales people are trained and not overly "selling".

If T-Mobile does get the iPhone sometime late this year, I definitely will be in line to purchase two of them.

Regards.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I've been a T-Mobile user now for about 2 years. Mostly because they're the most economical for our usage considering air time and charges. T-Mobile like other carriers have off the street salespeople at Malls, inside of Sam's Club, Costco, and even some other chain stores like Staples. The best place to deal with them is in their stores where the sales people are trained and not overly "selling".

If T-Mobile does get the iPhone sometime late this year, I definitely will be in line to purchase two of them.

Regards.

I agree, you gotta go with the corporate store. There are plenty of Apple authorized repair/dealers out there,but like most of you I go directly to Apple for that sort of thing and cut out the 3rd party.

I'm sure with the iPhone it will be just like At&t only Company stores will be able to sell along with a whole slew of rules, At this point I'm willing to bet the farm Tmobile will do just about anything to get there hands on that phone.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 13"
Not really.

T-Mobile is shooting out theoretical numbers for their speeds. Not to mention the smaller cap for data on the 3g networks.

Plus, seeing as the new 4g technology can be "upgraded" later I can only see the LTE and WiMAX becoming faster.

OP
schweb
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Plus, seeing as the new 4g technology can be "upgraded" later I can only see the LTE and WiMAX becoming faster.

That's also theoretically true too, but LTE's max is still years away at best.

The fact is that T-Mobile's real world HSPA+ is faster than the speeds Verizon has shared for their LTE network.

And what data cap on Tmo's network? They've got a 5GB soft cap, which is better than AT&T's 2GB hard cap or Verizon's soon to be announced caps.

And let's not even get into pricing advantages.

Let's just say it should be an interesting time over the next 12 months for the iPhone.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 13"

The fact is that T-Mobile's real world HSPA+ is faster than the speeds Verizon has shared for their LTE network.

And what data cap on Tmo's network? They've got a 5GB soft cap, which is better than AT&T's 2GB hard cap or Verizon's soon to be announced caps.

Let's just say it should be an interesting time over the next 12 months for the iPhone.
I see this move biting T-Mobile in the butt. It seems more of a short term investment than a long term investment.

As for pricing, T-Mobile is actually not very cheap. A data plan for a family it costs over 300 bucks. Not cheap. I recently switched from T-Mobile to Sprint because of this reason. Why pay more for less?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

Well said, Tmobile has put themselves in a good bargaining position, Finally they have something to bring to the table over the past couple of years the big 3 Verizon,At&t and Sprint have been mud slinging. Tmobile has quietly been building this massive network, That's not over loaded with smartphones.

I think Schweb is right it's going to be interesting to see what happens.

iWhat

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook, iMac G5, iPad, iPhone 4, iPod (MANY)!
Yeah, the regular store are fine, like all other cell phone stores, but I just really hate the people who sell tmobile phones from kiosks. I have never, ever, found a good one. If you ever get the chance, try talking to the ones at the Great Northern Mall. My last encounter went like this: "Yo man! Here's the deal. See this phone? Buy it, and I'll throw in this free bt headset!" I wanted the phone regardless(MDAv2) if he did or didn't give me that headset. At the end, when it came time to sign the papers, there was a charge of 83.XX for that headset. When I told him about it, he got so mad. Mad as in he was mad that I caught him trying to be sneaky. He then tried to make up some bs about how he had just gotten a text saying that they are no longer giving out free headsets. 1 day later, I had an iphone.

Wow, you've pretty much described my experiences trying to walk past the T-Mobile kiosk at the mall near me.

A very overweight T-Mobile sales guy asks me, "Hey man, where'd you get that shirt?" "I've got one exactly like that." I'm thinking to myself, really... really...? "Let me ask you something else, what phone service to you have?" I'm thinking to myself, didn't see that one coming at all. Lastly, I could never picture my shirt looking good on him at all. :Smirk:

I've also had a T-Mobile salesperson tease me for having Verizon and berate me infront of my friend for the price rates I told him I pay. I really wanted to comment on how I could never text my friend's T-Mobile phone in the mall, cause there is no T-Mobile service in the major of the place.

I have nothing against AT&T, cause I've never gotten the chance to use any of their services, especially in my area. Anyways, I'd welcome T-Mobile having the iPhone. It'd be interesting to see how T-Mobile would compare in service and price rates compared to AT&T, if any. I'm not sure I really see Verizon having competitive price plans at all to rival AT&T's.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
I will say this, if the iPhone does go to T'mobile...I'm jumping ship! I just simply prefer t-mobile over all the rest. The only thing that would stop me is the worry of not knowing how their data speeds could hold up.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I'd be a bit more worried about their coverage than data speed. Although it seems T-Mobile has been building their infrastructure in the right direction.

Regards.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
I've had the best coverage out of any provider with tmobile...where I live.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.