• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

thinking about doing the switch

Reaction score
Hey guys, I am new to the Forum and I joined cause I am looking for answers....
Been a PC user all my life and that is where I do all my work...
Animation..
Editing...
Photoshop...
etc.

I keep hearing that MAC is the way to go but I need to be able to work on the go. Would a 15 inch MBPro be suitable for me to be able to run apps like..

Maya2011, Adobe Master Collection CS5: Maily using After Effects and Premiere.

Please be honest, I just don't want to go out and spend the amount of money that a MAC cost and then find out that I will be struggling with it.

Thank you for your time.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac * 2.8 Ghz Intel Core i7 * 16GB 1333 Mhz DDR3 * 1TB HD *AMD Radeon HD 6770M 512 MB
My 2 year old 15 inch MBP runs the full suite of Final Cut Studio applications and dozens of others without a hitch. When I had Adobe CSS it worked great too. What kinds of struggles are you afraid of having? It will take a little time to get the hang of OS X but that's all I can really think of and it's certainly not a permanent issue. Oh, btw it's not MAC, it's just Mac.

OP
B
Reaction score
Hey Oneronaut, :)D)

First of all, I apologize to the Million of Mac Users out there for my mistake in spelling..... lol

my main concern is the ability of the unit supporting video editing through premiere and post production work from after effects. These two take up alot of power.

I also work with Maya and Zbrush so I am concern on the performance once I get into large files.

My plan is to get the low end model of the 15inch family and upgrade the hard drive to a 500gb 7200rpm hard drive...
and just upping the RAM all the way to 8GB's.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac * 2.8 Ghz Intel Core i7 * 16GB 1333 Mhz DDR3 * 1TB HD *AMD Radeon HD 6770M 512 MB
That's pretty much what I did except my model won't take 8GB. With a faster drive and more memory, I don't see you having any trouble at all. The MBP is designed to be used for such processor intensive work. The dual graphics card helps a lot. As long as you get an external hard drive to use as your scratch disk, you should be fine.

OP
B
Reaction score
starting vices

Scratch Disk? I keep hearing that term around. (pardon my ignorance) Is that's the external drive where the footage is been read from?
So I should get one that is firewire 800, correct?

the reason why I am asking is because, I have always used my desktop at home to do all that type of work and I usually have two internal drives.
one for OS and software and such..
the other for videos and images..

btw...thank you for taking the time to answer.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
You're partially right. Scratch disk refers to any drive where media files are stored. If you have mostly small files that will be erased soon, you could conceivably use your startup disk as the scratch disk. Most of the time though people use external hard drives, but if you have multiple internal drives, that works too. If you're going to get a MBP, you'll need an external. Not sure when you'd need to set up a RAID system, but I haven't needed to worry about that many internal drives yet.

I love answering questions about stuff I know about. I'm planning a series of tutorials about FCP so if you ever decide to give that a try, let me know and I'll answer your questions with a video!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Oh yeah, the 15 inch MBP has a firewire 800 port, though I'm not sure how you're supposed to connect a firewire camera at the same time to get taped footage from the camera to the external drive. You'll probably need a firewire hub. If you're using tapeless media, it might not be a problem.

OP
B
Reaction score
Most likely, I will be transferring the footage to the main HD and then transferring it to the external. I don't know if that would cause any issues.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
From what I can tell it shouldn't be a problem. It's when your HD has to keep reading big files that can muck things up. Good luck!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.