Using external Keyboard, typing letters give me numbers

Reaction score
Hello I have a mac but I'm using an external keyboard. The Keyboard is compatible with the mac but its set up like a regular PC Keyboard.

I must have hit something but i'm not sure what happened because on the external keyboard, now whenever i hit several letters I get something like this

k3k3k3k3k3k3k3 f4f4f4f4f4f4f4f4

so I'm getting numbers instead of letters.

What do i do to stop this? thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini 14.3, 8.1 & 4.1, OS 13.5, 10.14, & 10.11 & 10.6; Macbook Pro 8.2, OS 10.12.
All I can suggest is to go to System Prefs > Keyboard & Mouse > Keyboard > Change Keyboard type. You'll probably want to disconnect and then reconnect the keyboard before you click Continue.

PS. I'm using Tiger OS. Post your Mac specs and MacOS version in your profile, it helps us to help you better.

OP
H
Reaction score
All I can suggest is to go to System Prefs > Keyboard & Mouse > Keyboard > Change Keyboard type. You'll probably want to disconnect and then reconnect the keyboard before you click Continue.

PS. I'm using Tiger OS. Post your Mac specs and MacOS version in your profile, it helps us to help you better.

This is the type of external keyboard i have

Google Image Result for http://www.neowin.net/forum/uploads/post-11378-1238396565.jpg

my mac is OSX 10.5.8

I tired what you said but still nothing. When i press the f, h, k etc...letters they still come up as f4f4 etc...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini 14.3, 8.1 & 4.1, OS 13.5, 10.14, & 10.11 & 10.6; Macbook Pro 8.2, OS 10.12.
This is the type of external keyboard i have ... I tried what you said but still nothing. When i press the f, h, k etc...letters they still come up as f4f4 etc...

Which suggests to me that there's a fault in the circuit board beneath the keys. It may have cracked. Very difficult to trace where, and even harder to fix.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.