Who's still using the iphone 2g?

Reaction score
if u r,so what make u use the iphone 2g till now but not the iphone 3g or 3gs or 4g?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 15", 2.66GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 4GB RAM, OS X 10.8.2, iPad 1, 80gb iPod, ATV 1, iPhone 5
My gf is still using my 2g I gave her two years ago. She did pay 200 to have it replaced when it died. So she doesn't want to spend anymore for a new one. She also doesn't want to pay the extra $10 a month if she upgrades for the data. I now have a 3G collecting dust.

Reaction score
Well, I was using mine until last Thursday. I updated the software and it died. Admittadly, I did already have an iP4 on the way so it's not a huge deal. I never got the 3G or 3Gs because my 2G did everything I needed it to do. I also waited for my contract to end before deciding to buy and at that point, it was pretty obvious that the 3Gs was going to eventually be replaced. I'm in the Navy and ended up being sent on an overseas deployment a few months after my initial 2 year 2G contract was up, so it made even less sense to upgrade to a 3Gs when I wouldn't even be able to use it for 3 months just to come home and have it obsolete..ish...

I was quite happy with my 2G honestly and probably would not have upgraded to the iP4 but my 2G was quite abused and worn. Cracked front glass, horribly scratched and damaged body, but otherwise functional. It was getting a little glitchy so I figured why not retire it?

As I said in an earlier post, I think the 2G may have read my confirmation email that the iP4 had been shipped so it commited suicide because of the grief that I was giving it up!! LOL

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
if u r,so what make u use the iphone 2g till now but not the iphone 3g or 3gs or 4g?

Have you considered the cost of upgrading...not everyone is made out of money!;)

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook 2,1, Macbook Pro 5.1, (2) iphone 4S's, (2) iPad Mini's, Apple TV, MacBook Pro 9.2
My 9 year old boy has my wife's old 2g. He doesn't need anything other than wifi which he uses at home instead of distracting him at school. It's his trial for an iPad.

I also like the 2g design better. I still have mine v/g in the original box.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
11" MacBook Air / Unibody MacBook / iMac i3 21.5" / iPhone SE
I've had my iPhone 2G for only a couple of weeks after my son handed it down to me when he upgraded.
I now have a SIM only contract which has cut costs in half over the previous phone (Nokia 5800 on full contract) so i'm reasonably happy.
I find the internet very slow after the 3G of the Nokia, but overall I reckon the iphone is better.

Cheers :)

Hugh

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.7 GHz Mac Pro, 30" HD cinema display, 12 GB 1867 MHz DDR3 RAM
I inherited my wife's 2G when she upgraded to the 3Gs. I really had no complaint about it since I mostly used it as a phone and for some texting and playing PvsZ or Angry Birds. I have had my 4 for about a week now. I offered it to her but she wants to stick with the 3Gs so I am stuck with the iPhone 4. I guess its only fair since she monopolizes the iPad.

C

chas_m

I've kept my 2G because it is usable in both the US and Canada (via, um, magic fairies).

It runs everything I want it to run, works great in both countries (I tend to travel only to sizable cities), and I'm in a wifi environment 90% of the time so the lack of 3G has never been a big issue.

Sure, I thought the compass and GPS and all that were nice on the later models, but it wasn't compelling enough to make me switch, especially considering that having finished my initial contract with AT&T I'm on PAYGO in both countries which is very inexpensive ($19/month in Canada, $25/quarterly for US).

The iPhone 4 is more than compelling enough to make me upgrade, but then I have to get a contract, which now REQUIRES a dataplan, for three years (Canada). That plus a planned iPad and a new laptop later this year ... that's a LOT of money. So I'm still weighing my options. In the meantime, the 2G continues to do everything I *need* it to do (and to my great surprise, most apps run on it just fine).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
I've kept my 2G because it is usable in both the US and Canada (via, um, magic fairies).

It runs everything I want it to run, works great in both countries (I tend to travel only to sizable cities), and I'm in a wifi environment 90% of the time so the lack of 3G has never been a big issue.

Sure, I thought the compass and GPS and all that were nice on the later models, but it wasn't compelling enough to make me switch, especially considering that having finished my initial contract with AT&T I'm on PAYGO in both countries which is very inexpensive ($19/month in Canada, $25/quarterly for US).

The iPhone 4 is more than compelling enough to make me upgrade, but then I have to get a contract, which now REQUIRES a dataplan, for three years (Canada). That plus a planned iPad and a new laptop later this year ... that's a LOT of money. So I'm still weighing my options. In the meantime, the 2G continues to do everything I *need* it to do (and to my great surprise, most apps run on it just fine).

I went through the same thing just now paying off the new MBP,iPad and iPhone 4 in the last 6 months so I hope nothing new comes down the pipe I did not know I would need.:D:D

Reaction score

cost, plain and simple. the iphone i have has everything i need in it and works just fine. why should i spend money on something that doesnt work IPHONE4?? when the announcement of the iphone4 came out i was about to get one, but knowing apple's rep on new stuff coming out is always junk compared to the second or third version i planned on waiting until v4.1 or v4.2 to come out and id get one then. i think im going to wait until iphone5.3 comes out before i upgrade. if my current phone becomes unusable ill get a blackberry until the ip4 is fixed.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15in i7 MacBook Pro, 8GB RAM, 120GB SSD, 500GB HD
My uncle is currently using an iPhone 2G, but is planning on replacing it sometime in the near future. One of the kids I work with has one, its in pretty rough shape, but he only uses it as an iPod, it doesn't have a SIM card and isn't activated.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 13", 3Gs, iTouch and iClassic.
My friend bought a second hand 2G yesterday for £50, I'm jealous because I much prefer the look of it compared to the 3Gs. :)

Reaction score
I just bought a used 2G off eBay and unlocked it to work on T-Mobile. Because of the frequencies involved, an iPhone can't use 3G on T-Mobile anyway, so it was pointless to spend the extra money on a faster phone. When my contract's up, I'll decide if it's worth hanging on to the 2G or going over to AT&T.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
Represent! ;)

Two reasons I still use the original iPhone:

1. Germany's official exclusive carrier
In Germany, the iPhone is only available with Deutsche Telekom, who also own T-Mobile USA. In the US they are the underdogs, so they treat their customers like royalty from what I've heard.
In Germany however, they're the largest carrier and like to nickel and dime their customer for all they're worth. Overpriced plans, expensive handsets, outrageous terms of service.

2. Not much incentive
So far, I've been able to use the latest version of the OS and install all the 3rd party apps that are available. MMS never caught on, so I don't miss it, I have wifi coverage at uni, work and home, so I don't really miss 3G that much and while the improved camera and speed are nice, they didn't really justify an upgrade.

So I've stuck with my US iPhone 2G, but am thinking about purchasing a legally unlocked iPhone 4 from the UK in the near future, primarily to be able to use iOS 4 and multitasking.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
My 9 year old boy has my wife's old 2g. He doesn't need anything other than wifi which he uses at home instead of distracting him at school.

Sorry but i find it disgusting having a 9yr old with a iPhone (not having a go at you though :) ) ..... Ummm any phone IMO ..

Let them be kids :)

Cheers

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MBP C2D 2.8 4GB OS X 10.8 | iPhone 5
I had the original (2g) iPhone up until a week after the ip4 came out because it did everything I needed it to and I liked the sturdier design over the 3G/3GS plastic toyish design. The ip4 seemed like a sturdy design like the 2g and I figured I could splurge after having the 2g for 4 years. The speed in processing and the network isn't a bad upgrade as well. =)

Reaction score
iPhone 2G

It's been a year since the last post to this thread, and almost 4 years for the original iPhone come out.

I still use the iPhone 2G (bought sept 2007), hard use, and it works better than the first day, and it still win in several items against many new smartphones... so why don't use it? Why buy another smartphone?

With no doubt, if i buy a smartphone today it will be an iPhone 4, or 5 if it's available. But while my old 2g works i don't see the need.

Reaction score
Just sold mine for rather more than I expected. The battery was well past being useful, touchscreen was dodgy and the stupid bloody recessed headphone jack was doing my head in. (seriously, why put a nice 3.5mm jack on it and then position the **** thing so only Apple headphones fit? Oh wait...)

Still worked apart from the screen though!

C

chas_m

Follow-up: I got a good deal on an iPhone 4 with half of its contract already gone through, so I bit and got one.

The iPhone 2G still works great, my wife is using it now. I take it back when I need to go to the States, as its unlocked and I have an AT&T sim for it (and don't need 3G when I'm there).

The iPhone 4 has been MESMERIZING, I just love it even though I find the "zoom" on the camera a bit of a joke (have always hated digital zoom). The "new" features (like 3G data, compass, GPS etc) are fun but I don't use them much because I never had access to them on my old iPhone. The Personal Hotspot thing is FANTASTIC, though. Great to have it if I ever really need it.

In all, as I said before -- the original iPhone was the best tech investment I've ever made (including my Macs). It's "stuck" at 3.1.3 and there are some apps that won't run on it, but it's still awesome after all these years.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.