Questions re: installer DVD and upgrading my hard drive (MBP 13 inch)

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I'm planning to upgrade my internal hard drive and then restore using my Time Machine backup from my external. I know I need the installer DVD to do this (unless I'm mistaken), so I have two questions:

1) If I have Snow Leopard, do I use my Leopard Installer DVD or my Snow Leopard Installer DVD?
2) Do I have to use MY installer DVD (as opposed to any Leopard or Snow Leopard installer DVD)? I'm asking because I won't be home for another month and my original installer DVD is, well, at home...and if I don't necessarily have to use *mine*, I can just borrow one from a friend.

Thanks! Sorry if this is a common/obvious question; I don't come on these forums very often.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Less complicated: Why not download either SuperDuper or Carbon Copy Cloner and just clone the contents of your old hard drive to the new one? Both programs will make a clone as well as render the new hard drive bootable.
Then all you need to do is remove the old drive, install the newly cloned bootable drive and you're back up. Make sure you read the instructions for either program.

SuperDuper is shareware, while CCC is donation ware.

Regards.

OP
M
Reaction score
Would that require me to disassemble an external drive? Or can I do what you just suggested with an internal drive too?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.