Format ipod on pc

Reaction score
Ipod classic is not seen in itunes can't restore to factory settings even in drive mode. Have tried resetting - nothing. Just get 'connected' on the the screen. If I bring the ipod in 'my computer' in drive mode it sees it as 'drive f'. If i was to format it in my computer will it be left as an empty drive or can I then update it on itunes.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Did you try to reinstall iTunes? Some folks have stated that reinstalling sometimes clears up a problem with iTunes not seeing an iPod. If you format the iPod in Windows, it'll be reformatted again once you reset it from OS X.

Regards.

OP
S
Reaction score
Did you try to reinstall iTunes? Some folks have stated that reinstalling sometimes clears up a problem with iTunes not seeing an iPod. If you format the iPod in Windows, it'll be reformatted again once you reset it from OS X.

Regards.

if i reformat it in windows will it work again or will it be just an empty hard drive?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
If you reformat your iPod in Windows, you'll have an empty hard drive. Which means you'll have to reset it from iTunes anyway in order for it to work right. You can reset it from iTunes in Windows or on a Mac. I don't advise doing that too often. I messed up an iPod classic by resetting it from Windows and then from my Mac.

Regards.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.