Extremely important 'Backup' help required please

S

shahid

How to create a 'cloned' image on existing partition to transfer onto new HDD?

Hi folks

New Mac user here, just a couple of quick simple question for you experts.

I'd like to be able to create an image or restore CD of some kind that would enable me to copy/install it to a new HDD.

This would ultimately help to save time & effort of installing all the programs which i currently have installed & enjoy using on my existing OS X Tiger partition on my 30gb HDD.

I am thinking of upgrading the 30gb HDD in my ibook to possibly 60gb, hence my reasons for wanting to create some kind of cloned image on CD, which i could then use to install my already configured operating system on this 30gb HDD i'm currently using & transfer onto the new 60gb HDD.

Therefore i have two questions please:

1. Is this even possible? using either a CD or even an external HDD?

2. If it is possible, how & where should i begin? which software should i use?

Hope what i've written has made sense, if anyone has done this before i'd be interested in hearing about your experience & the process :doctor:

Thanks

Shahid

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Performa 6116 2GBSCSI 8MB OS 7.5.3
Once you get you first machine set to go you can use /Applications/Utilities/Disk Utility. This will allow you to image HD to HD using the restore button. Then you're off to the races. This is of course assuming you have the correct licensing.

OP
S

shahid

MacsWork said:
Once you get you first machine set to go you can use /Applications/Utilities/Disk Utility. This will allow you to image HD to HD using the restore button. Then you're off to the races. This is of course assuming you have the correct licensing.

Excellent, thank you.
I'm assuming i shoud connect my new 60gb drive via USB to my iBook, then follow the above instructions?

My iBook came with the Tiger disks, does that mean i have the correct licensing?

Shahid

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2GHz C2D macbook
you can also use CarbonCopyCloner. its free. can mirror your HDD and make it bootable. it can also automate and sync backups.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Performa 6116 2GBSCSI 8MB OS 7.5.3
No,...licensing is,...

1 mac cd = 1 install.

And on another note,...Carbon Copy Cloner is not Tiger compatible,...yet.

OP
S

shahid

MacsWork said:
No,...licensing is,...

1 mac cd = 1 install.

Technically, I'll only really be transferring the image to a new HDD, so therefore i wouldn't reallly be using the CD for a second install.

(in fact i haven't used the CD at all as Tiger was already installed)

Additionally, my 30gb (older HDD) the one which would create the image would be formatted and used for backing up or transferring data.

If anyone out there can clarify whether this would be a breach of licensing please do.

Shame about CarbonCopyCloner not currently being compatible with Mac OS X Tiger at the moment, as it sounds like something i could have tried.

Shahid

OP
H

Harryc

MacsWork said:
No,...licensing is,...

1 mac cd = 1 install.

Yeah but it works fine, I use it all the time on Tiger. You just need to start it from a terminal as sudo. Don't forget to get Info (in the Finder) on your target disk and UNCHECK "Ignore ownership on this volume",
http://forums.bombich.com/viewtopic.php?t=5264

OP
B

Badger

shahid said:
Technically, I'll only really be transferring the image to a new HDD, so therefore i wouldn't reallly be using the CD for a second install.

(in fact i haven't used the CD at all as Tiger was already installed)

Additionally, my 30gb (older HDD) the one which would create the image would be formatted and used for backing up or transferring data.

If anyone out there can clarify whether this would be a breach of licensing please do.
This is a legitimate use and does not violate copyright restrictions or software licensing. In fact it would be legitimate to keep the original system (on the older HD) as a backup. The only issue would be if you installed the system on a second computer.

OP
S

shahid

Badger said:
This is a legitimate use and does not violate copyright restrictions or software licensing. In fact it would be legitimate to keep the original system (on the older HD) as a backup. The only issue would be if you installed the system on a second computer.

Thank you for posting.
I only have one Mac machine which is my ibook, so from what you say, doesn't sound like i need to worry here.

I'll take a look into CarbonCopyCloner, now that i've heard it may work using the option the gentleman mentioned in a previous reply above.

Thanks for help & clarification to you both.

As a recent Mac switcher, coming from windows & linux, it's essential for me to have the correct facts before purchasing expensive hardware i.e 60gb HDD's.
Rather than discover later that something may not work.

After i buy the new 60gb HDD, i'll keep you all posted with how it goes. When i clone the image for transference onto new HDD.

(wish me luck) :doctor:

Shahid

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.