how do i get downloads back on the dock?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini, 2 GHz, 2GB, 120GB, 10.6.4 / 15 " MacBookPro, 2.33 GHz, 2 GB, 200GB, 10.6.4
The first week of Mac world went well, and I've already received my first very useful reply here that saved me some serious cash. So, I went out and invested some of that saved cash in a Mac keyboard and mouse. In the process of learning to use the mouse I somehow removed the documents folder from the dock. The documents folder is still on the hard drive and I can access it, but, I can't get it back on the dock. In the MS world it's only a right click away, but in the Mac world I've been trying off and on for about 3 days now when at home and haven't latched onto how to put it back, even trying to use the help screens.

I know this seems pretty simple, but, I'm stumped at the moment and frustrated. Now I know why the students I did Teaching Assistant work for that used Macs were annoyed with me. There are some very basic differences and working on logic is not always the answer until you learn Mac logic!

Anybody got a solution for me?

Thanks,
Arthur

P.S. I did figure out how to get my external drive for backups recognized by Time Machine all by my little lonesome. I'll give myself a pat on the back for finally figuring it out within a week!:Smirk:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" i7 iMac. Intel Quad Core. 16 GB Ram.
Open Finder and locate the Documents Folder in the left Side panel. Just drag it to your Dock.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.8 GHz 15" MacBook Pro OS X 10.7.x & some old Macs
You must have accidentally dragged the folder off the Dock. FYI that's how to get rid of the Dock shortcuts. It's easy enough to put it back. Just open up a Finder window and in the left under Places click on your user account. It should have a house/building icon next to it.

Then drag whatever folders you want to the right side of the Dock. Folders go on the right side while applications go on the left of the white divider. After that you can right click the folder and choose how the folders are displayed when you click on them. Each folder can be different.

OP
A
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini, 2 GHz, 2GB, 120GB, 10.6.4 / 15 " MacBookPro, 2.33 GHz, 2 GB, 200GB, 10.6.4
Thank you!

I will try this approach. Obviously I've already tried the drag and drop and it didn't work.

Arthur

You must have accidentally dragged the folder off the Dock. FYI that's how to get rid of the Dock shortcuts. It's easy enough to put it back. Just open up a Finder window and in the left under Places click on your user account. It should have a house/building icon next to it.

Then drag whatever folders you want to the right side of the Dock. Folders go on the right side while applications go on the left of the white divider. After that you can right click the folder and choose how the folders are displayed when you click on them. Each folder can be different.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
There is a faint white dashed line, like a lane divider on a street, on your Dock. (The 'C' is right below the 'D' and you wouldn't believe how many times I hit it accidently!) Anyway, if you want to drag a Folder to the Dock, it has to go the right of that line. If you want to drag an Application to the Dock (and the 'i' is right next to the 'o' by the way) it has to go to the left. (Either keyboard misstep leads to the same part!)

Also, try this: Click the magnifying glass icon in the upper right of your screen, on the menu bar. Type Doc in the box, and wait 2 seconds. Now you'll see Documents in the Folders group. Go down and click it, and your Documents Folder will open.

Reaction score
I also had this problem and discovered the following after many tries:
Go to finder, see documents in the left hand pane, click on it to OPEN Documents THEN drag the Documents folder to the Right hand side of the dotted line in the Dock.
Hope this works for you too.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
You're about 1 year late. ;)

Reaction score
Ok :)) but I went looking for the answer myself. It wasn't here. So, when I discovered it I posted for others who might be looking.
It is rare that I have an answer!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.