system preferences crashing

Reaction score
Hello Everyone,

so here's the deal, my system preferences keeps crashing everytime i try to access date&time preferences or energy saver...i'm on a first edition macbook pro unibody

i noticed this problem because next to my time digits i have a number so for instance where you have 1:12 i have 4 1:12 and since i wanted to get rid os the 4 i tried and failed to access date& time pref's...

any ideas...?if this where windows i'd say virus for sure...

anyways hope someone can help,

cheers,
Bic

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
No, even on Windows, that's not what a virus would do to your computer.

Sounds like maybe the System Preferences plist file is corrupt. To find out, follow the path to the file:
HD/Users/YourUserName/Library/Preferences/com.apple.systempreferences.plist
and move it to the Desktop.
Now start System Preferences and a new default plist will be made.
See if you can get into D&T or ES now.

Reaction score
Any progress here?

Those two System Preferences panes - Energy Saver and Date & Time - are crashing on my system as well. Moving/deleting the .plist file hasn't made any difference. Anyone else have any ideas?

I've only started noticing this since upgrading my HD to an SSD, though it could have been happening before then as I rarely access either of those panes.

I installed the latest version of OS X Lion afresh yesterday.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.