Macbook Inverter?

Reaction score
My neighbor asked me to replace a LCD screen on his sons Macbook 2.4/2x1G/250/SD-DL Black Notebook. He supplied the replacement screen.
The replacement went smooth until I replaced the hinge cover. The notebook worked fine until I noticed the back of the hinge area was not closed tight. After putting a little pressure on the case it closed.
Now when I power it on, all I get is a split second flash and then nothing.
Could I have damaged the inverter?

Thank you in advance

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Not the inverter. What probably happened is that you pinched off the power cable that goes to the display. It may have not been placed correctly when you reassembled the machine. The hinge area is very difficult to deal with when removing and replacing. The folks at iFixit: The free repair manual give a special warning about it.

Regards.

OP
W
Reaction score
I checked the connections on back of new LCD screen, they all look good.
I can now see the sign on window very dimly on the screen.
It was bright before.
Thank you

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Well, if you can see the sign on Window very dimly, then it could well be either the backlight which has failed or as you originally stated, the inverter. A failed inverter is very rare but it does happen. The inverter assembly provides the AC power to the LCD screen. (actually converts DC to AC)

It could be that the force you applied on the hinge assembly caused something to short out. Did you inspect the cables carefully to see if any were frayed or damaged? Go to the web site I referred you to previously iFixit: The free repair manual and look over their step by step instructions for changing out the LCD on that particular model MacBook you worked on. Perhaps you can find something there that will help.

If the backlight is burned out, you might as well change out the entire LCD again. Changing a backlight can be done, but it's a difficult job. The inverter assembly is easier to swap out.

Regards.

OP
W
Reaction score
Thanks for your help. I did read the tutorial you forwarded. Unfortunately I used another online tutorial that only had me remove the LCD display bezel, the LCD frame and hinge cover. The one you sent looks like it would have made dis assembly and assembly easier.
Do you suggest I go through the complete procedure at this point?
Also, can you suggest a reputable site to buy MAC parts?
Thank you for your time and patience.

OP
W
Reaction score
Also the connection on the inverter board where the tan and pink wires connect seems to have some play. Could that be an issue?
Thanks

C

chas_m

A Mac is short for "Macintosh." It's not an acronym, thus it should not be capitalised.

To put it another way:
mac: a waterproof raincoat made of rubberized fabric
MAC: a data communication protocol sub-layer, also known as the Media Access Control
Mac: a brand name which covers several lines of personal computers designed, developed, and marketed by Apple Inc.

Ditto for iPod. :)

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks for your help. I did read the tutorial you forwarded. Unfortunately I used another online tutorial that only had me remove the LCD display bezel, the LCD frame and hinge cover. The one you sent looks like it would have made dis assembly and assembly easier.
Do you suggest I go through the complete procedure at this point?
Also, can you suggest a reputable site to buy MAC parts?
Thank you for your time and patience.

It might help to go back over your work again but I don't see that anything can be gained from disassembling and reassembling everything. It might make matters worse. As far as buying parts for the MacBook is concerned, the site that I referenced (ifixit) has parts for most Mac models and is very reliable.

Also the connection on the inverter board where the tan and pink wires connect seems to have some play. Could that be an issue?
Thanks

It might be. Can you gently wiggle the wires or press on the connection to see if it makes a difference on the screen? The screen flash you see when first turning on the power may be the backlight very briefly lighting and then going out.

Also try examining everything in and around the hinge area. There are cables and other connections in that area - no telling which could be loose or not making contact. Try gently pushing down on the board with the rubber eraser end of a pencil while the machine is turned on. Use a magnifying glass and a strong light if you have them handy.

Let us know.

Regards.

OP
W
Reaction score
Here is a recap of my adventure, Yes, I messed up a connection on the inverter board. A local repair shop fixed it for me. I tested it and it worked.
I went through the complete disassembly procedure from Ifixit. It looks like when I removed the backlight connection from the logic board, the connection broke. Of course, I didn't realize this until I went to hook everything back together.
We will have to see if Apple or another repair shop can replace the connection without having to get a new or used logic board.
I appreciate your help chscag.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Are you good at soldering? If the connector can be soldered, give it a try. As long as it's not a surface mounted connector that's attached to the logic board you should be able to solder it. If the connector is damaged or broken and it's surface mounted, that means a logic board swap out.

Let us know and thanks for posting back.

Regards.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.