How do I create and post binary files?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPhone 13 (128 GB) iPad Air 3 (256 GB) Refurbed 21.5”iMac 3.6GHz Intel Core i3 w/Retina 4K (1 TB)
I'm trying to find a way to easily create and post binary files to a newsgroup. No, not for anything illegal. I am getting info aplenty for Windows but I'd prefer to stick to my OSX when doing these things. Is there a way to easily create the binary files then split and post them to a newsgroup? Color me a newbie in this respect so not too technical please. Step by step would be great or if there's a program out there that will do it for me... even better.

TIA!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
There is also Thunderbird for OS X which is free. Thunderbird does newsgroups very well and it has an option to upload files to the group. I use Thunderbird daily to check FIDO groups via NNTP.

Regards.

OP
Mikisunshine
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPhone 13 (128 GB) iPad Air 3 (256 GB) Refurbed 21.5”iMac 3.6GHz Intel Core i3 w/Retina 4K (1 TB)
I'm using Thoth as my newsreader. Love it. Aren't these other programs the same thing? I still don't understand how to create and upload the binaries though it's easy enough to download and extract them.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Sorry, I'm not familiar with "Thoth". What kind of binary files are you creating and have you looked under posting options in your program? If there is an option for uploading or attaching files to a newsgroup response, it should be listed.

Regards.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
I'm using Thoth as my newsreader. Love it. Aren't these other programs the same thing? I still don't understand how to create and upload the binaries though it's easy enough to download and extract them.

A binary isn't a file type, it is just a non-text file. So a photo is a binary, and MP3 is a binary, etc.

OP
Mikisunshine
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sorry, I'm not familiar with "Thoth". What kind of binary files are you creating and have you looked under posting options in your program? If there is an option for uploading or attaching files to a newsgroup response, it should be listed.

Regards.

I'm not creating any binary files because I don't know how. That's what I'm trying to learn how to do.

OP
Mikisunshine
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
A binary isn't a file type, it is just a non-text file. So a photo is a binary, and MP3 is a binary, etc.

I understand that. So how do I create one? I want to upload photos and text I've created (PDF) to a newsgroup for critique. Bu I'm told I can't just upload the file, I have to create a binary of the file then post that to the group. But i don't know how to do this. I'm also told if it's too big, it needs to be split. Do newsreaders do this automatically? Or do I have to split it myself and the post it? Like I said, I'm a relative newbie to newsgroups.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I don't know which newsgroups you're subscribed to but the ones that I'm familiar with allow file attachments of various sorts. The file can be a JPG, TXT, PDF, etc. I've never heard of a newsgroup that required a file to be converted to binary before uploading. Are you sure that's what their rules are?

Perhaps they're referring to compressing the file? That means to Zip it before sending.

Regards.

OP
Mikisunshine
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I need to create binaries for this newsgroup.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.8 GHz i7 MBA 11" OSX 10.8.2
We need more information. Saying you need to create binaries to upload photos is like saying I need to create binaries to upload music to a newsgroup - as schweb pointed out your PDF and photos are already binary.

If you could tell us about the newsgroup - maybe we could go research what they want so you can upload.

Back in the day newsgroups and usenet only supported ASCII - and you had to uuencode binary files - that is convert them to text. Then others could download that text file and uudecode it so it converted them to the actual binary file - such as pictures - Modern day newsgroups and readers don't really need to do that anymore - that is, when you upload a file you just upload the file in its binary format. FTP programs distinguish between binary and ascii when uploading but now adays you just almost always upload in bin mode.

You say you found a lot of information for Windows to do what you want to do - can you post links?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.