• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Tips for selling iPhones?

Reaction score
I have 2 brand new iPhone 4s for sale and my old 3GS, I've been hearing alot of these scams on ebay lately where the buyer would say nothing was in the box. Of course everyone and their moms will side with the buyer.

I think I will sell on craigslist, are there any tips? I am going to activiate the phone and remove the sim card. Do alot of craigslist people use fake cash?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.2 GHz 1Gb(soon to be 4:) 120gb HD. 2nd gen iPod. Rip iPhone Rip iPhone 3g Rip iPad
Craigslist is always good, no most people never use fake cash on craigslist. include pictures and maybe a cell phone number so they can contact you.

How much you selling for anyway?

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
Since this is a very sought after item..go with CL and try to restrict yourself to local sales..meet the buyer in person and always take cash and then hand over the phones..

Regards

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
scams can happen on all items and places. If you are a new seller, you will be targeted by a scam artist. From my experience, ebay offers you great seller options to reduce scams. You can put restrictions on who can bid for your item. One requirement option is for minimum feedback required. You can also read the feedback of the bidders that bid on your items. If ANYTHING seems fishy about them, withdraw their bid! Simple as that. I have more than 250 transactions with 100% feedback, and I have never been wronged by a scam artist, though I have had 2 attempts of people expecting to get something while paying nothing after I shipped it. If you don't know/understand the field you are selling something in, you should not sell there. CL is fine as long as you meet them in person, and count the money there. Don't feel stupid by bringing a marker to mark the money, you would not believe how many people try to buy with fake currency. Ebay should bring you the most money, as long as you are very descriptive, have great photos...touch them up to make them better looking...
God speed!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookAir5,2:10.13.6-iMac18,3:10.13.6-iPhone9,3:11.4.1
I would add that CL is a better option for something like a phone, which has many subjective qualities that could later be argued. I generally try to meet someone in a place which is related to the item being sold or traded so that everyone can verify everything works correctly... were I buying an iPhone, I'd meet at an AT&T Wireless store; a gun sale would be at a shooting range, and so forth... Everything else gets done in the local Police or hospital parking lot as there is a greater likelihood of help and video cameras being around. Going armed isn't a bad idea either. ;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
I sell all my old iPhones on eBay and have never had an issue.

Of course I only sell to people with PayPal accounts, in the US, with positive feedback, certain account longevity, and no violations.

I had more scam issues Craigslist than on eBay. It all just comes down to being careful and smart about how you do things regardless of where you sell and buy whether it's eBay, Craigslist, or even Mac-Forums.

OP
B
Reaction score
That is good tip and I prefer ebay too, but what about the part where the buyer receives the item and claims that everything is in the box except for the phone. This is the part that worries me, and on the paypal seller protection it states "Claims and chargebacks where the buyer says that the shipped item is significantly not as described" are not covered under seller protection.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP Unibody 2.53Ghz 4GB RAM 250GB HD,VERIZON iPhone 4,SIG P238 ,iPad,6th Gen iPod NANO
That is good tip and I prefer ebay too, but what about the part where the buyer receives the item and claims that everything is in the box except for the phone. This is the part that worries me, and on the paypal seller protection it states "Claims and chargebacks where the buyer says that the shipped item is significantly not as described" are not covered under seller protection.

thats the very reason I don't use Feebay anymore I got scammed by a guy who claimed he got the iphone but the box was empty, Paypal promptly put my account in the negative well over $400. 99% of the time Paypal will side with the buy not the seller.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.