G4 Noise/Vibration concerns

Reaction score
My old dependable G4 tower developed a bad new habit this morning. It's doing this cycling vibration thing that sounds like it's winding up, vibrates enough to feel it through the floor from 12 feet away, then it will reach this sort of crescendo before it goes quiet, then repeats. Indefinitely. The whole cycle last about 7 seconds. Is this thing on death's door? Is it just a mechanical fan issue?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
C

chas_m

It is probably a fan issue. Have you taken a can of compressed air and cleaned those out?

OP
K
Reaction score
I'll tell you what, it's definitely the fan/power supply box. I blew it out with some compressed air and it did the trick, but then a day or so later it was it again. I guess i'll take a stab at ripping it apart and being a little more thorough.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
That for sure sounds like dry bearings on a fan. I was going to suggest power supply but looks like you found it! :D

I usually oil the bearings for a temp solution then get a new Fan.

OP
K
Reaction score
Interesting. Thanks for the head's up about oiling the bearings. It so happens I have another G4 tower kicking around, but I don't want to lose my backup!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.