MacBook Pro Overheating

Reaction score
So, I've got a late '09 MBP.

Specs are:
2.8 GHz C2D
4GB DDR3 RAM
320GB 7200rpm HDD
running 10.6.4

I've been playing CS:S and an online game called RuneScape and have had my Mac shut down on me frequently.

The online game isn't an incredibly intense game, but is run via browser. In both cases, my Mac reaches the very high 90s - in Celsius.

At the moment, the only applications I have open are Chrome, an IRC client, and Quicksilver. With these three applications running, I'm sitting on 64 degrees Celsius, with my fans both running at 5482 rpm. Chrome has only one tab open.

When playing either game, my system reaches, and exceeds 100 degrees Celsius and forces it to go to sleep.

The actual machine is incredibly hot to touch - I've got my MBP hooked up to a 26" HDTV with an external keyboard so I'm not actually touching my MBP until it goes to sleep.

I'm also using a cooling pad, and still have these temperatures.

I'm considering downgrading to 10.6.3 - is there any way to do this without having the Snow Leopard install disk?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
If it's shutting down doing what you are, dropping to 10.6.3 wouldn't make a difference, but since you are under warranty still, I would be making an appointment with Apple Genius Bar.
Normally, I would be running through the questions of what you've been doing while it gets this hot, but if it's been getting so hot that it's shutting down, this is good enough reason to go and get it checked out.
Any other advise, good or bad, you will be kicking yourself if you fry your logic board, and find that it could have been avoided.
In saying that, if you don't have a current backup.... get onto it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.8Ghz MBP
My laptop will get to about 220 fahrenheit (about 104 Celsius) when playing games... I very rarely have my system shut down, maybe you should get your computer checked out. Also, get a laptop cooling pad... might help you out a little.

OP
D
Reaction score
So, I've got a late '09 MBP.
I'm also using a cooling pad, and still have these temperatures.

:p

But, I think I will. It has NEVER done this before, and I've been playing these games for a while now and it's been happening only recently.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 15"matt, 2.8GHz, 500GB, 4GB RAM
I hit 80-90ºc when running things like skype/logic pro with firefox or other stuffs open, and 95-104ºc with handbrake working.

I have same model I believe, but 500gb 5400 drive on 10.5.8.

I've always been told that is how hot they run. I have it on a laptop stand and have never had a shutdown - so until I do I'm not worrying and believing it is normal. I rarely use it on my lap, and if I do it's only for something like Mail or firefox...

I'd take it into the genius bar, better still with a video of your computer shutting down because of heat - I had an issue with usb sparks which I couldn't replicate in the shop. Turned out it was not the laptop at all, but even with the same kit there for the genius to see it is hard to feel like you should be listened to and not be told it is normal if they can't see it for themselves.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.