iBook G4 Power problem

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iBook G4, Mac OS X Leapard, 1GB ram
Hi, i have a problem with my iBook G4.

The only way it will charge is if i wedge something under the adaptor (where it plugs into the charger port). The charger has to be in the right position to charge. If not, the battery symbol will come up with 'Not Charging' then flash onto the battery supply symbol with the battery remaining and will keep doing it over and over.

I dont know anyone with another apple laptop so cant test the charger. The charger appears to be in good condition, not bent or split. The power port is a wee bit wobbly but only with a tiny bit of force.

Also, now and then when i pull out the charger, the laptop suddenly cuts out. No messages, no funny pictures or noises, just a black screen and the sound of the hard drive stopping. To turn it back on, i have to remove the battery and put it back in. Sometimes it just goes into sleep mode but not very often, mostly just cuts out.

I've been searching but no luck. What i have came across is people that say thier laptop cuts out but then goes on too say that when they turn it back on, thier battery level is at 0%. My battery doesn't drain although it does only last 3-4 hours on better performance.

I was thinking the DC power board but not sure. What does everyone think?

Specs are
iBook G4
Mac OS X Leopard
Upgraded to 1GB ram

Thanks,
Jamie

C

chas_m

The iBook G4 line was discontinued in May of 2006 -- four years ago. Yours is likely to be even older than that.

From your post, I would say you have DC inverter board issues at least (btw, 3-4 hours is PHENOMENAL for a battery that old). You may also have logic board issues (a known problem).

You can try fixing the inverter board if you like, but I think you'd be better off "taking the hint" and getting a newer machine.

OP
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iBook G4, Mac OS X Leapard, 1GB ram
Hi, thanks for the reply.

Have seen DC boards for sale on ebay so can get a replacement one of them. Is it a difficult job too replace? Don't get that much time off work lately so struggling to take it to a computer store.

To be honest, i bought this 3 months ago from Trade Me and could barely afford it as it was. Would love a new Macbook but dont make that much money, lol.

Thanks again,
Jamie

C

chas_m

You can try repairing it yourself, though where you'll find the time is another question. It's a fairly complicated job (as you have to disassemble the whole thing). I would call it "quite difficult" for anyone inexperienced with doing such repairs, but its really more tedious/meticulous than "hard."

I didn't suggest you buy a new MacBook. I suggested a newER machine. MacBooks have been around since June 2006 and they're fairly cheap to find in good shape used. I have a BlackBook from 2007 and its still serving me very well.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.