Isolated or common problem with Zagg?

Reaction score
I installed a Zagg full body (front and back) on my Iphone 4 on saturday afternoon. Everything was great with it until today. It wasnt until around 4pm that when I took my phone out of my pocket, the front was falling off. Much to my surprise the front was a soft, gooey, stretchy mess and had lifted off on the bottom. Obviously it had acquired lint from my pocket and wouldnt lay back down without bubbles. I could literally move the whole thing around and stretch it and it would return to normal shape, but just wouldnt seem to adhire to the glass. Strange this is, the back is still perfect and didnt exhibit any "softening" like the front.

In anyones experiences with Zagg, have you seen or had this happen to you? I would attribute it to being outside 8 hrs in 105* indexed temps in Florida if the front and back both did it. So, I'm thinking maybe I got a back piece?

Thanks for any input.

Oh by the way the phone was in and out of my pocket many times before it started to fall off.

Reaction score
I was going to order a zagg full body tonight or tomorrow.....dunno now. Probably just the temp. If i do get it, i'll be sure to post here.

OP
S
Reaction score
I first thought it was temp related, but the back piece stayed on fine. I tried calling Zagg about it, and their automated system said I would be on hold for up to 45 min. I called bestbuy and the guy said just bring it in, mostly because he didnt believe me about it being soft and stretchy, more like melted. He opened one from the shelf, handed me a new sheild and spray bottle and said I hope this one works better for you. Couldnt be happier with bestbuy right now.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
How long has it been since you bought it? They have a life time warranty on them, they should be helpful. As with any static/tape on screens, if you catch an edge of it, and force it in the same direction, it will peel. I just returned mine because it had a small spec/line. There are 2 layers to the invisishield: The "goo" and the polyurethane film. Sometimes, from odd uses, similar to the problem with the grips on a mouse, it can start to separate from constant movement. You're not alone.

OP
S
Reaction score
How long has it been since you bought it? They have a life time warranty on them, they should be helpful. As with any static/tape on screens, if you catch an edge of it, and force it in the same direction, it will peel. I just returned mine because it had a small spec/line. There are 2 layers to the invisishield: The "goo" and the polyurethane film. Sometimes, from odd uses, similar to the problem with the grips on a mouse, it can start to separate from constant movement. You're not alone.

I bought it this past saturday. I noticed the sheild that I just got from bestbuy as a replacement has a line above the ear piece speaker. Oh well, I'll just use it till i need another one. Do you know about how long it take to have them replaced from Zagg?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
Did you let it sit for 24 hours after you put it on? You need to let it adhere correctly before doing much with it.

OP
S
Reaction score
Did you let it sit for 24 hours after you put it on? You need to let it adhere correctly before doing much with it.

Not quite 24 hrs, but atleast 12-14hrs. Zaggs install videos says 12 is good. The back shield adhered very well.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Do keep in mind that the "lifetime" warranty means that you'll get one replacement during the lifetime of the product.

I had a Zagg InvisibleShield on my MBP. It was great for about 2 months, before the corners started lifting. And of course, as soon as that happens, the resulting flap attracts dust and dirt, so it leads to having to trim it to keep the rest of the piece installed.

I also found that over time, the material yellows, depending on what it comes into contact with. For example, the rubber bumpers on my Rain Design mStand made yellow marks that could not be cleaned off. So, it's not as impervious as they make it seem.

For something that I'd take in and out of pockets on a regular basis, I'd recommend a real case. I just don't think it's going to hold up well against the friction a typical phone will go through.

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
Do keep in mind that the "lifetime" warranty means that you'll get one replacement during the lifetime of the product.

I had a Zagg InvisibleShield on my MBP. It was great for about 2 months, before the corners started lifting. And of course, as soon as that happens, the resulting flap attracts dust and dirt, so it leads to having to trim it to keep the rest of the piece installed.

I also found that over time, the material yellows, depending on what it comes into contact with. For example, the rubber bumpers on my Rain Design mStand made yellow marks that could not be cleaned off. So, it's not as impervious as they make it seem.

For something that I'd take in and out of pockets on a regular basis, I'd recommend a real case. I just don't think it's going to hold up well against the friction a typical phone will go through.

Just to add a little bit to what you said and my experience. Had this thing on my MB and the underside gets hot obviously. The bottom is basically now yellow, and pieces of it are starting to chip off. Looks like a piece of amber as there are lots of cracks and discoloration.

Had it installed for almost 2 years now so I guess it's to be expected.

Reaction score
Wow 2 years is a great run for a glorified sticker. Every post I read here I'm going back and forth on whether or not to get one

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

That's not actually right. As long as you send back the "defective" shield to them each time you order a replacement, you continue to maintain your warranty.

So in essence you could get a new one every time as long as you comply with the terms and send the old one back.

OP
S
Reaction score
Thanks for your input guys. Does anyone know exactly when apple is going to open the site for ordering the free bumpers or third party cases?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks for your input guys. Does anyone know exactly when apple is going to open the site for ordering the free bumpers or third party cases?

All they've said is later this week.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
That's not actually right. As long as you send back the "defective" shield to them each time you order a replacement, you continue to maintain your warranty.

So in essence you could get a new one every time as long as you comply with the terms and send the old one back.

Interesting. I could have sworn I was told that it was only once.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Interesting. I could have sworn I was told that it was only once.

Well it's once per skin, but the replacement skin can be replaced, etc...

Reaction score
You also have to return the skin you are replacing. If you don't Zagg will charge you full price for the skin they send you. Zagg does not cover return shipping charges but they do give you the entire installation kit for replacements.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
To be honest, I'm still a bigger fan of the screen covers that you can buy on ebay for just a couple of pennies. What I figured out is, buy 2 to have one screen. Here's what I mean. Use the first screen cover to statically silicone charge the screen, which also cleans it, remove it and apply the second screen cover, which will just fall down onto the screen perfectly! You can actually win one of those for 1 penny, it's happened to me a couple of times already.

OP
S
Reaction score
A little update. Today I left the phone in the truck all day, so it wasnt in and out of my pocket at all. The shields just dont seem to want to adhere to the phone. When I wipe the screen and apply any kind of pressure, it will stretch and manipulate the shields. I dont know what to do with these POS shields. Does anyone know if they can be returned for a refund at the place of purchase or are you stuck with Zaggs replacement only policy? I hope i didnt really just waste $29 for them.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I honestly can't say I'm sure why it's not working for you. I used it on my 3GS and now on my 4 and haven't had any issues.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
A little update. Today I left the phone in the truck all day, so it wasnt in and out of my pocket at all. The shields just dont seem to want to adhere to the phone. When I wipe the screen and apply any kind of pressure, it will stretch and manipulate the shields. I dont know what to do with these POS shields. Does anyone know if they can be returned for a refund at the place of purchase or are you stuck with Zaggs replacement only policy? I hope i didnt really just waste $29 for them.

I would get a replacement from Zagg. This time, before you install it, first wash your hands (to remove any oils on your skin). Then, lightly dampen a paper towel with some ammonia-free glass cleaner or rubbing alcohol (not sopping wet, just damp) and clean the phone thoroughly.

Then install the InvisibleShield as directed. My guess is you have some kind of contaminant that doesn't agree with the kit.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.