iPad Car Mount

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I think sometime last week...the subject of using your iPad as a GPS device (iPad 3G) was brought up...and one of the issues was how to hold or mount it.

Here's an iPad car mounting device:

Apple iPad Compatible Car Stand Holder

...I'm not sure how well it would work (suction cups). I certainly don't think I would want it mounted on the windshield...considering the size of the iPad.

But with one device out there ...there certainly will be more products to follow (some better, some not).;)

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" Glossy MBP 2.66 GHz Core i7 8GB DDR3 RAM 500 GB 5400 RPM HDD 10.6.5 Snow Leopard
Hello,

If one is interested in a good iPad Car Mount, consider RAM-Mount. RAM-Mount makes different types of mounts for various electronic devices for many vehicle types. Their mounts are used by many in the Public Safety field.

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
I was the one who brought up using the iPad for GPS, but was only marginally serious about the mount, figuring I would lay it on the passengers seat when alone, and let my wife attend to it when not.
Having said all that, this looks worth trying.

C

chas_m

I have to say honestly this sounds like a bad idea, at least to me. The temptation to spend too much time looking at it would be too great.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iTouch 32 GB 1st Gen, iPad 64GB 3G, 2.8GHZ Quad-Core Intel i7
I have to say honestly this sounds like a bad idea, at least to me. The temptation to spend too much time looking at it would be too great.

Yup.

When a buddy of mine got a hybrid, the dealer told him not to have the nav/computer display running the fuel efficiency graph program because he would watch that instead of driving. He told him to turn the display off.

I did use the maps this weekend on a road trip to SC from DC, in and around SC, and back to DC. As a co-pilot with the maps and GPS, it was great. As a driver getting to a key intersection, it is a distraction. Nevertheless, when you have the map on and get current location enabled and your little blue ball is on the roads, the iPad did stay on and did not go into sleep mode as per my "sleep fast" settings. It was pretty nifty and a very useful function.

The 3G coverage up and down I-95 is pretty good, too.

Now if only the iPad had an Austrailian voice like my folks' GPS does. ;D

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Yup.

Now if only the iPad had an Austrailian voice like my folks' GPS does. ;D

Yep, us Americans are a sucker for that accent aren't we.

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I definetely agree with the potential for distraction, but that is what makes the audible turn-by-turn instructions so valuable. I don't see it ultimately as being a bigger problem than someone trying to navigate using a city map or craneing their neck in all directions trying to see if they just passed their turn.

Regardless, that is why I prefer the alternative of letting my wife hold the iPad and acting as navigator leaving me totally free to watch the road.

The velcro idea might work though. With velcro tape I could support it off the back of the sunscreen (just kidding). :D

OP
pigoo3

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I think that we are well beyond the point of having too many distractions while driving:

- cell phones
- texting while driving
- car in dash displays of all sorts
- GPS devices
- putting on makeup
- reading while driving
- eating while driving
- shaving while driving
- picking your nose;)

...do I need to go on!;) The driver needs to be responsible...pull over when necessary to use all of the toys...or hopefully have a passenger that can do it for you.:)

- Nick
picking-nose-1.jpg

just_say_no_to_nose_picking_tshirt-p235440421886639246q08p_400.jpg

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
I think that we are well beyond the point of having too many distractions while driving:

- cell phones
- texting while driving
- car in dash displays of all sorts
- GPS devices
- putting on makeup
- reading while driving
- eating while driving
- shaving while driving
- picking your nose;)

...do I need to go on!;) The driver needs to be responsible...pull over when necessary to use all of the toys...or hopefully have a passenger that can do it for you.:)

- Nick

You forget that the passenger is also a distraction. >_>"

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
Hey, nose picking while driving is awesome!

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Just as long as you don't get into quad processing mode and pick your passenger's nose too! :p

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.8 GHz 15" MacBook Pro OS X 10.7.x & some old Macs
A person only has two hands so for quad processing someone is going to have to use their feet....now you have other problems like passengers passing out from the smell in the car. ;P

OP
pigoo3

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
OP
pigoo3

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.