Best software site??

Reaction score
Coming from the PC world I use to always go to Tucows or CNet for downloads and reviews of software. Is there a better site for reviews and downloads for Mac??

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
There is also a free application out now, which I'm getting to like more and more.

It's called Bodega. Has an app store with a bunch of software available and growing all the time.

What I'm really liking about it, it verifies the version number of most of my installed apps with the latest versions available. You have one place to click to download and it handles the installation of the update as well, sort of like the app store on the Touch, iPhone and iPad. No more waiting until you're ready to use an app and then it wants to update while you're waiting for it.

For those that seem to have a problem keeping track of their registration keys, it even keeps track of those for you with any of the apps you purchase there.

Reaction score
For downloads, you can go here:

Apple - Downloads

For reviews, I would look around. I think the Apple Downloads page has reviews, but I don't often browse through it enough (IMO, there needs to a Software Store for Macs, kind of like how there exists the App Store for iOS. Well it's a pipe dream anyway).

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
(IMO, there needs to a Software Store for Macs, kind of like how there exists the App Store for iOS. Well it's a pipe dream anyway).

Guess you missed the post right above yours. ;D

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Thanks for the tip about that site Bpb. I used to use the versiontracker app that did something similar. I liked it because it allowed me to track the software updates for both mac and PC. Stopped using it a while ago though because it hung o often during the downloads.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
It's still missing some of the better paid apps. I'm sure a lot of companies don't feel like sharing a portion of their profits with anyone. But, you'll find a lot of good stuff from 1Password to VLC.

Has one of the infamous DVD ripper spammer software listed. But it's been pretty amazing over the last 3 weeks or so I've had it installed about finding and installing updates to a lot of my existing software.

And probably a good idea for any of the paid apps to do a little research before buying.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
Thanks for the tip about that site Bpb. I used to use the versiontracker app that did something similar. I liked it because it allowed me to track the software updates for both mac and PC. Stopped using it a while ago though because it hung o often during the downloads.

MacUpdate has MacUpdate: MacUpdate Desktop 5.0, but requires the $20 premium account to use it.

metaquark AppFresh is free and updates software from iusethis.com

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.8 GHz i7 MBA 11" OSX 10.8.2
I use the Macupdate Desktop as it came with one of the spring update bundles. That is one thing that I found with Mac - if you keep an eye out there are bundles of software that is sold so it is a great way to discover software. Macupdate just had a spring promo where I got Parallels and 9 other software for $50 - and usually its $40-$80 for Parallels by itself. There was some pretty decent software included in that bundle.

Anyway here are the bundle sites I know about
The Mac update promo site - has deals of the day and sometimes bundles
MacUpdate Promo - Huge Discounts and Daily Deals on Mac Software

Macheist
MacHeist Welcome

Macfriendly
MacFriendly - Amazing Bundle For Mac User

Macbuzzer
http://www.macbuzzer.com/

Popcap's complete mac pack - Plants vs Zombies and bejewled 2 - nuff said
PopCap Games - Mac Complete Pack

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
IMHO Macheist is shady. Almost every bundle they sell has some drama related to one or two of the bundled pieces of software not working right or even not being provided.

For example, last bundle, they promised Tweetie 2 beta access within a month of the purchase....months, and months, and months later no response from Macheist except rudeness towards those asking questions.

A quick search on Google for unhappy Macheist people will tell the story. :)

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Thanks for the links guys.

@schweb thanks for that reminder about MacUpdate's Desktop app. I am sure I have it since I got their last bundle to try Parallels. I haven't had problems with MacHeist but then again I haven't been using Tweetie.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.8 GHz i7 MBA 11" OSX 10.8.2
IMHO Macheist is shady. Almost every bundle they sell has some drama related to one or two of the bundled pieces of software not working right or even not being provided.

For example, last bundle, they promised Tweetie 2 beta access within a month of the purchase....months, and months, and months later no response from Macheist except rudeness towards those asking questions.

A quick search on Google for unhappy Macheist people will tell the story. :)

That is probably true of any of these bundles. These guys are promoters and they get the developers to throw in their software. Macheist is also the one that had drama with Speed Download from Yazsoft. That being said I didn't have any trouble getting Tweetie - and as far as useful software I think they are spot on. The last bundle they had - had Rapidweaver and Macjournal - and I bought it for $20 (Go see how much those two pieces of software are individually). I had more trouble with Macbuzzer missing a license for Thoughts - even then I got a response within a few days and got my license. So do take it with a grain of salt - remember there will be at least 3 parties involved in getting all your software.

As David Barry said about Enron - "Never trust a company run by men with Lay and Killing in their names" - maybe you shouldn't trust a bundle with heist in its name either. That being said - I'd like to reiterate - I had zero problems with Macheist.

C

chas_m

I've had no trouble (but a LOT of entertainment) with MacHeist. I don't give stories about problems much credence -- these are promotion sites and some developer somewhere is always disgruntled from time to time -- MacZOT has had similar issues, as has MUPromo.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.