Compile Snow Leopard app on G5?

Reaction score
I have a 1.8 GHz PowerPC G5, 2GB Ram, running OS X 10.4.11.
I plan to upgrade soon to OS X 10.5 (Leopard).

Using XCode, I have developed several screen savers which run under OS X 10.4 (7 Angels - Mani X Screen Saver). I imagine they also run under OS X 10.5, but haven't verified this. They do not run under OS X 10.6.

My question: After I upgrade to 10.5, will I be able to recompile my programs to run under both 10.5 (Leopard) and 10.6 (Snow Leopard)? Or do I need an Intel Mac to create software for Snow Leopard?

Thanks in advance for your kind help. :)

Bodhi

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid
To compile specifically for SL may not be possible. I suspect that the version of XCode that can target SL, only runs on SL. You need to sign into developer site and see the requirements for the appropriate version of XCode. If it does run on the older Leopard, then I would expect that you could set the target for Snow Leopard.

Your target compile for 10.5 Intel may still work in SL, but maybe only in 32bit mode. You'll need to research more about this difference. I don't know the details.

OP
B
Reaction score
To compile specifically for SL may not be possible. I suspect that the version of XCode that can target SL, only runs on SL. You need to sign into developer site and see the requirements for the appropriate version of XCode. If it does run on the older Leopard, then I would expect that you could set the target for Snow Leopard.

Your target compile for 10.5 Intel may still work in SL, but maybe only in 32bit mode. You'll need to research more about this difference. I don't know the details.

Thanks xstep, for your speedy reply. :)
My understanding is that screen savers, because they are applets(?), have to be compiled as 64bit in order to work under SL. Otherwise my 32bit versions would run as is and there wouldn't be an issue.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid
My understanding is that if the user is running 64-bit SL, then some things, such as screen savers and preferences panels, need to be a 64-bit version. Here is an Apple technote on the matter.

I'm fairly sure it isn't referred to as an applet, but rather a plug-in. Looking at building a new XCode 3.2.2 project I see this is classified as a 'System Plug-in' and the project builds a 'screen saver bundle'.

Perhaps the first response in this Mac OS X Hints thread will be helpful. Perhaps it is dependent on a newer XCode version. I just don't know.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.