Configuring new Macbook Pro 15 vs 17

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.25 Ghz Mirrored drive door G4
I am looking at configuring a new MBP. My first thought is the 15 is the good compromise in size, and it offers the hi-res monitor. Then I noticed the 17 has the hi-res also, but it is non glare? I think I get from reading other threads here that the non-glare is not the screen preferred by most? I use Photoshop a lot.

Regarding RAM; is the 8GB a good enough deal that it is best to just buy it from Apple? It appears to me buying an upgrade parts kit is not saving that much. Am I wrong?

One more question/topic. What is the value derived from the higher speed hard drive?

Last question: I think I read somewhere here about a user buying a Pelican case big enough to fit a mouse along with a 15 inch MBP. Is that right? If a person buys the 17 inch, is there a Pelican for that, also capable of holding a mouse?

Thank you.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Please use the search function of the forums. This topic has been discussed numerous times.

Briefly: The 15" MBP is more portable. Buy memory from a third party rather than Apple, and yes, a faster hard drive helps. As far as the display is concerned, go to your local Apple store or Best Buy and see for yourself which one you like.

Regards.

OP
B
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Please use the search function of the forums. This topic has been discussed numerous times.

Briefly: The 15" MBP is more portable. Buy memory from a third party rather than Apple, and yes, a faster hard drive helps. As far as the display is concerned, go to your local Apple store or Best Buy and see for yourself which one you like.

Regards.

I did.

C

chas_m

So then you already know what everyone here thinks, so you started a new thread on the same tired topic because ...

OP
B
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
So then you already know what everyone here thinks, so you started a new thread on the same tired topic because ...

If I had known what everybody thinks, I would not have asked.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
I know it's been discussed here many times, some of which I have contributed to, but I couldn't find anything other than this thread trying a few different search phrasings.
This is quite often the case for me when performing searches here.
I have way better luck with my google-fu abilities :)

OP
B
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I know it's been discussed here many times, some of which I have contributed to, but I couldn't find anything other than this thread trying a few different search phrasings.
This is quite often the case for me when performing searches here.
I have way better luck with my google-fu abilities :)

Thank you. I did use the search mechanism and went through pages of listed threads, not finding what I wanted. I also did general web searches. I felt this would be the place to ask, imagining my request would be well received by Mac enthusiasts.

Thank you for your kind reply.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
I am looking at configuring a new MBP. My first thought is the 15 is the good compromise in size, and it offers the hi-res monitor. Then I noticed the 17 has the hi-res also, but it is non glare? I think I get from reading other threads here that the non-glare is not the screen preferred by most? I use Photoshop a lot.

Regarding RAM; is the 8GB a good enough deal that it is best to just buy it from Apple? It appears to me buying an upgrade parts kit is not saving that much. Am I wrong?

One more question/topic. What is the value derived from the higher speed hard drive?

Last question: I think I read somewhere here about a user buying a Pelican case big enough to fit a mouse along with a 15 inch MBP. Is that right? If a person buys the 17 inch, is there a Pelican for that, also capable of holding a mouse?

Thank you.

As far as anti glare goes, and size.... really best to check them out side by side for a real comparison.
I find the vibrancy of the glossy screen too good to pass, as do majority of Mac users.
Before I got the MBP I did (see my specs on the left), I was going to get the anti glare which is also high res as standard. I did the side by side test at the Apple store, and other than the vibrancy of the gloss, I also didn't like the size of the font with the high res, which to counteract the font size with display settings, would have compromised the high res properties, which to me defeats the purpose.
So, once again, it really is a personal choice that I think can only be made with an informed decision which would take a side by side test.
As Chscag stated, the Ram you are better off upgrading yourself.
I know with OWC that it will be cheaper, and you get a rebate on your RAM if you choose.
See Memory Upgrades for your Apple MacBook Pro 2.66GHz (17-inch Unibody w/Intel Core i7) - April 2010 at OtherWorldComputing.com
Hard drive speed makes for faster boot, shutdown, read and write speeds.... Not as fast as the SSDs, but SSDs are outrageously priced still.
Don't know about the Pelican Cases :(
:)

When you're at OWC site, also check out Hard Drives and compare the prices.

OP
B
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
As far as anti glare goes, and size.... really best to check them out side by side for a real comparison.

I find the vibrancy of the glossy screen too good to pass, as do majority of Mac users.

Before I got the MBP I did (see my specs on the left), I was going to get the anti glare which is also high res as standard. I did the side by side test at the Apple store, and other than the vibrancy of the gloss, I also didn't like the size of the font with the high res, which to counteract the font size with display settings, would have compromised the high res properties, which to me defeats the purpose.

So, once again, it really is a personal choice that I think can only be made with an informed decision which would take a side by side test.
As Chscag stated, the Ram you are better off upgrading yourself.

I know with OWC that it will be cheaper, and you get a rebate on your RAM if you choose.

See Memory Upgrades for your Apple MacBook Pro 2.66GHz (17-inch Unibody w/Intel Core i7) - April 2010 at OtherWorldComputing.com
Hard drive speed makes for faster boot, shutdown, read and write speeds.... Not as fast as the SSDs, but SSDs are outrageously priced still.
Don't know about the Pelican Cases :(
:)

When you're at OWC site, also check out Hard Drives and compare the prices.

Oh my, useful point. That also warrants a side by side comparison, doesn't it? Thanks for pointing that out. Wow.

Does installing RAM yourself affect your warranty?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
RAM and Hard Drives are considered user upgradeable by Apple and doesn't void your warranty.
Speaking of Warranty, getting AppleCare is worth considering, boosting your warranty and tech support to 3 years.

OP
B
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
RAM and Hard Drives are considered user upgradeable by Apple and doesn't void your warranty.
Speaking of Warranty, getting AppleCare is worth considering, boosting your warranty and tech support to 3 years.

I would definitely get AppleCare. I always have in the past. It has been well worth the expense.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2010 MBP 15" i7, 2.66 GHz, 4GB RAM, 250GB SSD, OS-X 10.7.2; iPhone4 iOS 5.0
From my (admittedly limited) exposure to Pelican cases via an abiding interest in photography, I can tell you they have an enormous range of cases available, most with user-configurable (cut-it-out-yourself!) foam inserts. I'd be fairly confident you'll find something within their range that meets your needs ;)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.