Erase HD with disk utility and then use Snow Leopard DVD?

Reaction score
I need to erase my hard drive and install a fresh OS. I have the Mac OS X Snow Leopard disc, and it says CPU Drop-in DVD. My question is:

If I use any of the disk utility options (zero out, 7-pass, or 35-pass), will I be able to install Snow Leopard from a wiped drive with this disc (I assume using disk utility will erase my existing OS)? The reason I ask is because I am borrowing this disk and I think it is only an upgrade disc.

Thank you!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro, 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 2 GB RAM, nVidia GeForce 9400M
in theory, yes, because that's how the Tiger guys use the disk.

but i don't think disk utility is capable of wiping the partition/volume that it's on, i think you have to boot from the disk (hold alt/option while the computer is starting up) and see what options it has. there should be one for a clean install.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
-->
You really need to buy your own $29 Snow Leopard DVD to be legally compliant.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21.5" iMac i5 2.9 Ghz, 15" MBPro i7 2.0 Ghz, iPhone 5, iPhone 4s, ATV2, ATV3, iPad2, iPad Mini
Borrowed OS Discs???

You really need to buy your own $29 Snow Leopard DVD to be legally compliant.

Plus One.
Should not be borrowing OS Discs

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13 inch alMacBook 2GHz C2D 4G DDR3, 1.25GHz G4 eMac
All that aside, if you boot from the disc holding C and THEN use disk utility (under the Utilities menu) you can zero out the disc and then install. Though you could also do a fresh install. And what type of mac are you putting this on. Sure it's SL compatible? If not, after you wipe your HDD, you'll be up sh*t creek.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.