Total 'Noob' question, but need answer real quick ! HELP!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 21.5 1TB HDD - iPod Touch 4G
What is 'Growl'? A Pop message has appeared on my imac saying that "a newer version of growl is availible online Click here to download it now"

I Dont remember downloading anything called 'growl'

What is it, and should I download it? HELP... Its sat there 'Looking at me' !!!

OP
T
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
OK, cool. It came with the adobe suite, and they admitted it, apologised and provided removal instructions... It appears to be gone.

Reaction score
Gowl is a system notification utility that many Mac programs use to pop up messages (like you saw in the corner). And, like most utilities, it's periodically updated. I'd wager you'll find very few people that don't have it on their systems since A) it's quite a handy little program and B) some 3rd party programs require it in order to work properly.

OP
T
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yeah, but it was installed WITHOUT my permission... See here for what adobe is saying about it. And Apologising.

Growl Installation with Adobe CS5 Adobe Installation and Licensing

This is a quote from one of the people on that page who was unhappy, and he feels the same way I did...

It wasn’t some awful spyware, but imagine how I felt seeing some popup come up asking me about updating something with a picture of an animal paw with claws? I’m very careful about keeping my system clean and though I’d messed up somehow.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
Growl

I love Growl and it's actually pretty well used throughout the Mac community.

C

chas_m

Shikarnov: all I'm going to say in reply to your post is you need to get out amongst the non-power-users (who make up the VAST MAJORITY of both Mac and PC worlds) sometime. Apparently, you'll be shocked.

(I have Growl, but then I'm a nerd.)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.