New guy here... please help!

Reaction score
Hi again...

So I'll try wording this a little more vaguely so I don't get banned for mentioning illegal things. Though I should mention that torrenting any software in Canada (where I live) is not illegal, and not a punishable offense, as it is illegal for for our ISP's to give out any information about their clients' downloads. Just an FYI for any moderators here.

ANYWAYS.

Let's just say I bought this software so far...

- VMware Fusion
- Windows 7 Enterprise 64-bit
- Office 2008 for Mac
- Office 2010 for Microsoft
- ESET Smart Security for Windows 7 partition

Is there any software or fixes you guys would recommend I do right off the bat? I've had my MacBook for just about over a day now. I'm a small IT business owner, so I haven't had too many problems learning the new OS, it's just the programs I need to get familiar with.

- S

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21.5" iMac i5 2.9 Ghz, 15" MBPro i7 2.0 Ghz, iPhone 5, iPhone 4s, ATV2, ATV3, iPad2, iPad Mini
Torrenting Software in Canada is not illegal?
Where did you read that?
I think your mistaken.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
Hi again...

So I'll try wording this a little more vaguely so I don't get banned for mentioning illegal things. Though I should mention that torrenting any software in Canada (where I live) is not illegal, and not a punishable offense, as it is illegal for for our ISP's to give out any information about their clients' downloads. Just an FYI for any moderators here.

Just an FYI, we follow US law on this board. We're pretty clear about that.

At Mac-Forums, we do not allow discussion of illegal activity. Period.

The Community Guidelines state:

Respect copyrights and the law.
Don’t discuss or conduct content theft or any other illegal activity. Period. We follow U.S. law on the forums, so just because something might be legal in your country doesn’t mean it will be allowed here. If you’re ever in doubt, contact one of the moderators before you post.

And for the record, as someone who claims to be a "small IT business owner, you're pretty unethical. How would you feel if people just stole your stuff?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Pirates be pirates anywhere Jim Boy arghh...and of course it is illegal stealing the rights to software and depriving the copyright owners, and software developers, of their hard earned income!

C

chas_m

sjr09 is, to put it politely, grossly misinformed.

Torrenting software is illegal throughout the civilised world, including Canada.

Canada has a more liberal policy than the use on personal-use copying of songs and legally-bought DVDs than the US does, but that's about it.

Reaction score
Hi again...

ANYWAYS.

Let's just say I bought this software so far...

- VMware Fusion
- Windows 7 Enterprise 64-bit
- Office 2008 for Mac
- Office 2010 for Microsoft
- ESET Smart Security for Windows 7 partition

Is there any software or fixes you guys would recommend I do right off the bat? I've had my MacBook for just about over a day now. I'm a small IT business owner, so I haven't had too many problems learning the new OS, it's just the programs I need to get familiar with.

- S

sjr09,

Just so you know as an IT professional you should know that downloading illegal copies of software through torrents is not an ethical practice.:\ I realize that a lot of people do this. With that said, I would never post what you have posted on any forum site. For one thing you are not making yourself look good on this forum and you will possibly bring on problems for yourself as a result.

I'm running the following software on my Macbook:
- VMware Fusion
- Windows 7 Professional 32-bit
- Microsoft Office 2008 for Mac
- Microsoft Office 2007 for Windows

All of which I have purchased or downloaded through my college. All legitimate copies I might add.:) To me it is not worth it to have illegal copies of software and you will also have support from their respective web sites if you have questions about purchased software. Just my two cents worth. I am probably not saying anything new here but noticed your post and won't be suprised if this thread is shut down......

My suggestion is that you purchase legitimate copies and then you will have "electronic" user guides and access to their respective web sites if you have additional questions. GL on your decision.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Air 13" Ultimate (2010)
Pirates be pirates anywhere Jim Boy arghh...and of course it is illegal stealing the rights to software and depriving the copyright owners, and software developers, of their hard earned income!

It's better to be a pirate than to join the Navy.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.