MacBook Pro Keeps Crashing....Help Please

Reaction score
Hi,

I bought my macbook pro new last august. Untill a couple weeks ago it was running fast with no problems. Then it started playing about, i believe after i installed software updates. Then it started lagging alot, for example opening safari....it will open then as the homepage is loading now it will crash for about 20secs and then load up, this never use to happen. Same thing happens when i open mail, it crashing for a bit, stops me doing anything else and then loads up.

When this first started happening i phone apple support as i have Apple Care (protection plan). They took me through the steps of verifying the disk and testing the hardware, everything came back ok. The last resort was to re-install the OS again from disk. I dont that and it appeared to improve the system. Then yesterday i got a upgrade copy of Snow leopard, but it wouldnt install, even after 3 attempts, from what i think was due to scratches on the CD. So i phoned up apple care again and they said they will send me another disk but i will have to erase my disk and reinstall the 10.5 OS again for now. So i done that last night and since it still seems to be playing up, keeps crashing. I reinstalled Logic last night and i couldn't d much without it crashing or taking a long time to load anything. And it kept stopping and saying disk to slow, i never had this before.

Im starting to think that it must be a hardware fault even though the hardware test says its ok. I have used less then half the harddrive memory so far. Should i ask to bring it into apple? Or should i wait to get my snow leopard upgrade disk to see if that fixes anything? will it fix anything?

One thing i do notice is that Kernel Task takes up about 1.65gb virtual memory when i look in activity monitor...Logic will take up about 1.8gb...

Pleae Help Guys

My system is 15" Monitor.. 2.53ghz intel core 2 due....4gb memory.....

Thankyou

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
When was the last time you repaired permissions?

- Nick

OP
J
Reaction score
yesterday.....

I checked Smart Status on disk utility and it says verified. I then download and ran Smart utility and it says FAILING....

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
yesterday.....

I checked Smart Status on disk utility and it says verified. I then download and ran Smart utility and it says FAILING....

Well...it would seem strange that a hard drive would be going bad after less than a year (since last August)...but anything is possible. And that Disk Utility says the HD is ok, and "Smart Status" says it's failing.

Did you boot from the CD/DVD that came with the computer...and then run Disk Utility?. This is sometimes better than booting from your HD & then running Disk Utility.

Like you said, you have Applecare, the computer is less than 12 months old, and you're having problems. I would say get to your nearest Apple Store & have them check it out...or get on the phone with Apple again. If you can't get to an Apple Store...then you're going to have to ship the computer to Apple...and the back & forth shipping will really lengthen the process.

Good luck,

- Nick

OP
J
Reaction score
yep, disk utility says verified and smart utility says failing. But i havent used disk utility from the disk, i shall do so after this message....This will be the 3rd time ive had to do this because of problems.....Surely this means the harddrive is faulty.....

I live fairly close to an apple store so i shall sort it out with them...Do you recommend me phone apple care before going to the shop?

OP
J
Reaction score
Okay, i ran disk utility from the start up disk. It still said disk verified on smart status even though smart utility said failing.

I then went to verify disk to see what errors would come back and there was quite a lot and it told me to repair..i clicked on repair and at first it said unable to unmount drive or something similar...

I clicked repair disk and after a while it came up with Filesystem verify or repair failed......I clicked okay and then repair disk again...It worked and said hard drive appears to be ok....i then restarted the macbook pro and now its been lagging on the start up screen for about 10 mins, im writing this on my pc.....

Hard Drive failure???

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hard Drive failure???

The signs seem to be pointing in that direction. Good to hear you have an Apple Store nearby. You shouldn't have to call Applecare first...but it might not be a bad idea to call the Apple Store near you...to see if they're busy, or if you need to make an appointment.

Applecare is verified via your laptops serial number...and they can look that up at the store.

Good luck...please let us know how it turns out.

- Nick

OP
J
Reaction score
okay as its sunday apple care isn't open, unless your calling about an iphone...so i just called my local store and they booked me in for wednesday, bit of a wait, but at least something might get done about it....worst of all, my TV stopped working last week aswell so ive been using my laptop to watch films etc.....i better find a good book...

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
....worst of all, my TV stopped working last week aswell so ive been using my laptop to watch films etc.....i better find a good book...

Yes...time to get "old-fashioned" and read a book. You'll probably end up falling asleep.;D

Good to hear you got an appointment...too bad you have to wait till Wednesday.

Please let us know how it turns out.:)

- Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.