Lag issues, please help.

Reaction score
Ok, so I like to play the online MMORPG Runescape. It's a browser-based Java game. Has very low system requirements which my late '09 MBP exceed.

The problem is it lags...a lot. I have personally come to the conclusion that it's my ISP's fault and that there's nothing I can do about it, but then again I don't know all the techniques for testing the connection.

The game itself lags, but other things that require the internet do not. I'm able to play CS:S without any problems. Loading pages works perfectly. But the game stutters for whatever reason. I click and then wait a few seconds and then my character takes action. The lag is intermittent...maybe for a few minutes actions will be immediate, then I'll get stutters. I'll disconnect (indicating a lack of connection to the internet) but be able to stream a YouTube video.

I don't know if there is something I can do on my end or not.

I've found that in the early morning I do not experience this lag, but as the day goes on it gets worse and worse. It's not yet late (midnight onwards) so I'll update later when I assume less people are using the internet to see if that's the reason.

Otherwise, please leave any suggestions and possibly solutions.

Thanks.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Sounds more like the Runescape server is being overloaded and not able to handle the demand.

OP
D
Reaction score
I would agree but I've tried playing on multiple servers.

Some in England, some in the US and some in Australia.

I'm in the Philippines at the moment.

All have the same problem.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Very well could be an ISP issue during certain periods of the day when their network is being overloaded then.

OP
D
Reaction score
Can you think of anything I could do on my end that might improve things?

Because just looking at it, it really does look like an ISP thing.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.