Nikon d90 not being recognized by MacBook Pro

Reaction score
When I plug my NikonD90 into My MacBook pro it is not recognized. I have tried all the ports. I take the card out and put it in a card reader and it works fine. I have found some similar references to this online but no clear solutions. I worked fine and then stopped working. The only thing I have done different is I have been used one of those multiple usb port things but have that off now. I can't see that that would have anything to do with it?

Any thoughts?
Thanks
Denise

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2 iPod Touches and iPad
I don't know if this will help or not, but I have a Nikon D40 (for now!), but I use a (gasp!) "personal computer". The docking cable goes straight into a USB port and not a USB hub. The one thing I do is connect the cable to the camera when it is powered down and then turn it on after it is connected and this has not failed me (knock wood) for over 2 years.

The other thing I am thinking of doing is getting an Eye-Fi memory card (because I am such a gadget freak!). It works just like a normal SD memory card, but has WiFi built-in! How cool is that! You can upload your pictures with no wires at all! Some have GPS capabilities and some will even automatically upload your pictures to one of 25 "social networking" sites.

Here is a list of their various models and features:
Eye-Fi wireless memory card comparison chart | Eye-Fi

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Not to steal the ops thread here, but will these Eye-Fi cards add GPS metadata to RAW files for use on cameras that don't have GPS built in? and work with Lightroom and Aperture?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2 iPod Touches and iPad
Well its not geotagging based on satellite data like a traditional GPS. They use something called Wi-Fi Positioning System (WPS) technology. Using built-in Wi-Fi, the Eye-Fi Card senses surrounding Wi-Fi networks as you take pictures.

What is Geotagging? | Eye-Fi

I have never used this, but it seems far less precise than satellite-based GPS. As I stated in another thread, my next camera purchase will most likely be a Nikon Coolpix P6000 with a built-in "real" GPS.

As far as Lightroom and Aperture, can't answer that.

OP
T
Reaction score
I saw those the other day, they cost more I noticed. I tired the camera on my friends PC this am and it was recognized right away so I know it is a software thing because everything else is working in the USB ports. URGGGGG.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac: 5K 27” (2020), 3.3 GHz, 32Gb RAM. iPad2, iPad mini4, iPhone 13 Mini, Apple Watch SE
My D90 is not recognised by my iMac either. The answer is to use the Nokia download software that came with the camera.

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
I just use a small SD card reader. In the past (haven't checked with my nikon D5000) I found it to be significantly faster than transferring from the camera, didn't affect my battery life and was more convenient to carry in the bag than a USB cable.

Reaction score
My D90 is not recognised by my iMac either. The answer is to use the Nokia download software that came with the camera.

Think you mean Nikon software really.;D

my works fine on MBP but i have the Nikon software installed connect whilst camera is off then switch camera on.

Nikon software Auto loads but i then just use Aperture

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac: 5K 27” (2020), 3.3 GHz, 32Gb RAM. iPad2, iPad mini4, iPhone 13 Mini, Apple Watch SE
Yep! It's Nikon - that what comes of emailing Nokia just before writing my post. True Nikon needs to be switched off before connecting the cable but either I do it the right way round instinctively or it doesn't matter if software is running or not. Come to think of it I think Nikon software autoloads by default when it detects the camera but you can switch that off.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.