Powermac G4 MDD Case/Power Supply Fans

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.06 iMac i3|12GB|500GB
Thinking of swapping out these fans, has anyone else here done this with positive results?

My 1.25 DP MDD runs normally @ 103f. That seems to be on the cool side and I don't hear the fan. Does it get much cooler? I was wondering if there was some really extreme fan I could drop in it to keep it frigid, I was even thinking of securing one of these by the heat-sink. Too much? I've heard so much about these systems overheating I'm paranoid lol

I'm also bidding on the copper heat-sink which from what I hear is far superior to the aluminum ones.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
My first question would be...why would you want to do this if your Powermac G4 is running fine? At 103°F...that's not really that warm...only 23°F warmer than the ambient air temp. in an air-conditioned room set for 80°F.

I mean I understand the "curiosity factor" of wanting to give it a try...and I would say go for it...if it doesn't cost too much money or if doing the install wouldn't open you to any risk of damaging your computer in the process (some folks are better at working on the insides of a computer than others);)

You asked "Does it get cooler?". It depends on the the temp of the room your computer is in. If the room it's in is 80°F...then with a simple "cooling fan" you will never be able get to 80F...in fact you probably won't even get close to 80F. With a larger, more efficient, or faster rpm fan you may be able to drop the temp somewhere into the "90's".

The other things to consider are:

- how much electricity will the fan require (probably not a big deal, but something to think about)
- size of the fan. Do you want to mount it in the same place as the original fan(s)...or just "rig" it up somewhere new.
- additional noise. This is probably the biggest "risk". If the new fan creates more noise...that could be a negative.

Just some stuff to consider,

- Nick

Reaction score
I wouldnt remove the stock fans. You just hook up some Honking DC fan to one of the 12 volt drive leads.....its more important that you keep the inside clean and the dust balls out.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.