Sharing printer with a networked PC.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2 iMacsOSX13.6.4;10.13.6;iPhone SE2 17.3.1;SE1 15.8;iPadMini15.8;iPadAir 2 15.8
I have an iMac with Snow Leopard 10.6.4. I have enabled sharing but PC gets message "Access denied unable to connect".

In case it was the cause of the problem I've disabled file vault, deleted the printer from the PC and added it again but I still get the same message.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro, iMac
Let's start with first things first to be sure...

If you open up System Preferences, then select Sharing, you have put a check mark in the box next to Printer Sharing, yes?

Off to the right, you should see: Printer Sharing: On. Below that, you should see a list of printers that are connected to your Mac. You have a check mark in the box next to the printer you want to share, yes?

Just to the right you should see a box titled Users. You have Everyone Can Print selected , yes?

Mike

OP
A
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yes to all those.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 13, 2.4, 8GB, 120GB SSD OCZ
I have a wireless Lexmark printer that I have installed in the wireless network. I use both my HP and MBP with it. Once you have set up the printer it should show up on the network on which ever computer you are using. Then just add the device. Is this problem the PC side or Mac side...

OP
A
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mine is Lexmark Duplex Colour Printer (C534dn). The problem seems to be on the PC side. It's not wireless; link is ethernet. When printer is switched off it says on PC that it's open but as soon as printer is turned on this message appears.

My Mac 'Missing Manual' suggests using Bonjour for Windows for which the Apple link given and which I cannot now find doesn't work.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 21" 2.4G 320G HD OS Snow Leopard. Win7 on Dell PC Inspiron i5 8g Ram 1TB HD
Do a search on Google for Bonjour for Windows,I had a similar problem, Bonjour solved it. Good Luck Van

OP
A
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Bonjour for Windows

Okay, successfully downloaded and installed. Wizard located printer but it still doesn't work. This may conceivably have something to do with my Zone alarm firewall. The help doc suggests the following:

Firewall requirements
The Bonjour networking protocol sends and receives network packets on UDP port 5353. The Bonjour installer will configure the Windows firewall appropriately during installation on supported systems, but if you have a separate "personal firewall" enabled, you will need to ensure that UDP port 5353 is open for Bonjour to work correctly.

Does anyone know how I do that? I have no idea even what UDP port 5353 is.

Reaction score
Hi there,

I just did a quick google search, using the criteria UDP 5353 and one of the results was this from Apple, which states
UDP port 5353 is used by Apple TV for automatically finding computers with iTunes on your network using Bonjour.
Hope this helps. :Cool:

OP
A
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks for that. However this doesn't solve the problem of why, even with Bonjour for Windows on the PC it says its printing but nothing happens at the printer end.

I have to say that, with the sharp rise in cost of original cartridges and poor results from refilled cartridges on the Lexmark I will probably stop using colour altogether. Only problem is that I can't locate the grayscale option at present.

There is also a strange problem with printing pdfs of some documents such as HMRC tax forms. Whilst the data is printed the blocking etc is missing altogether from the printout.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.