Using hard drive without mounting bracket

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro , 2.4ghz, 200gb HD, 4GB RAM; PowerBook G4 12".
I recently purchased a used powermac g4 without a hard drive. I bought a hard drive and when I went to install it, there was no mounting bracket. Does anyone know if it will damage the hard drive if I just let it run laying on the bottom of the case?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I recently purchased a used powermac g4 without a hard drive. I bought a hard drive and when I went to install it, there was no mounting bracket. Does anyone know if it will damage the hard drive if I just let it run laying on the bottom of the case?

I've done it...it should be ok. As long as the hard drive is essentially in the proper area of the case that it would have been with a bracket...and as long as if you have to move the Powermac...that you move it carefully & gently as not to cause the hard drive to jostle around.

HTH,

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini 14.3, 8.1 & 4.1, OS 13.5, 10.14, & 10.11 & 10.6; Macbook Pro 8.2, OS 10.12.
Put a pad of 'styrene, or sticky rubber table matting, even a folded cloth, under the drive, for cushioning. You can tape it into place, just don't cover the breather hole.

Reaction score
I used a square of foam the open cell kind..lets more air in.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2xiMac24 w Parallels 6 (1x White, 1x Aluminum), iPhone 3GS with iOS5
For sure add a wire to ground it to the cases just in case - handing there is not "well" grounded.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.