Unibody Macbook Pro - Running hot, same CPU usage!

Reaction score
I've got the generation before the current MBP, it's a 2.93ghz, 4GB RAM, 256GB SSD.

I've used it for about 6 months now, and I barely ever heard the fan at all, it was actually kind of shocking how cool it was running even when knee deep in Logic Pro and such. I could be streaming 480p full screen to a 24" display on Hulu without breaking a sweat, but all of a sudden it's causing it to run the fan, and be noticeably hotter than before.

I can't think of any reason why this might be, as absolutely nothing has changed since it started, and the activity monitor shows the same amount of CPU usage. Anything I should be looking into?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I can't think of any reason why this might be, as absolutely nothing has changed since it started, and the activity monitor shows the same amount of CPU usage. Anything I should be looking into?

Depending on the temperature of where you live/work...the temp. in the room may push the laptop over the "edge"...and "kick-on" the fans.

- Nick

Reaction score
After some time with all laptops are beginning to make noise.
The reason for this is falling and settling of dust in the radiator of cooling system. It may also be that the thermal paste on the CPU lost their properties and it must be changed. Contact the service center. Good luck!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13 inch alMacBook 2GHz C2D 4G DDR3, 1.25GHz G4 eMac
It's been 6 months? I bet you haven't dusted it out at all with compressed air, either. Get a can of compressed air and a size 0 screw driver. Take off the back faceplate of your macbook pro, and then blow out that dusty fan. :)

OP
M
Reaction score
It's been 6 months? I bet you haven't dusted it out at all with compressed air, either. Get a can of compressed air and a size 0 screw driver. Take off the back faceplate of your macbook pro, and then blow out that dusty fan. :)

I haven't. i'll try that, thanks.

What's my next step if none of the suggested responses work? I'd hate to believe such a new computer would already be failing on me, especially given the price I paid for it.

It just seems odd that all of a sudden, steaming video and running my normal DAW programs would cause it to run super hot out of nowwhere.

UPDATE: It seems i'm not the only one. It has to do with using a firewire external audio interface as of last week, apparantly it causes the CPU temp to go up drastically, and for no reason. From what i'm reading, it's a software issue. Anybody have any info on the matter?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.