connecting to external display using 4 part...help

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1 prev. gen MB with a 350hd. 1 20inch previous iMac. Both run SL jailbroken 1st gen ipod touc. &3g i
So i'm connecting my black mac to my flat screen in my room. I connect fine through mini dvi ti dvi hdmi. It looks great no problems. however the tv in my room has no hdmi, just component, green, blue, red. So i ordered a hdmi F/F coupler and this cable from amazon http://www.elecb2b.com/images/HDMI to Component Video+Audio AV Cable.jpg So i connect everything andddd. blank. the speakers make a nise when i plug and unplug it but thats it. i click detect displays in preferences and the tv makes some noise but nothing happens? whats up?

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
You can't go from HDMI to component via a cable. It won't work - period. The digital signal of the HDMI has to be converted to the proper analog signal of the component.

There are a ton of these (what I call) scammer cables out there. I've been told that there were a couple of devices put out early on whose HDMI ports would put out analog signals, although, I've never seen one, read about one, nor has anyone ever been able to provide me with any specific device that did this.

You can use something like this - link - or you can provide the make and model of your TV and we can perhaps make some other recommendations.

If you have a DVI (guessing you don't) on the TV or VGA, you'll more than likely be better off going with one of those - and much cheaper.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.