my Lacie Rugged drive no longer is recognized by my computer

Reaction score
I have a 300GB external Lacie Rugged drive for my Mac. when i was in the middle of correctly ejecting it the firewire 800 cord was accidentally hit and it caused my drive to suddenly be removed. when i went to plug it back in, the computer did not recognize it. a warning came up, "the disc you inserted was not readable by this computer". so i just ejected it.

i went to try repair disc in the first aid section of the disc utility but it said, "Filesystem verify or repair failed"

what is my next step? i would like to ty and do this myself because i dont have the cash to send it to a professional data retrieval place. it is not important work, so if i have to i will let it go, but it would be nice to be able to get my images off of this drive.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini 14.3, 8.1 & 4.1, OS 13.5, 10.14, & 10.11 & 10.6; Macbook Pro 8.2, OS 10.12.
The controlling bridge in the LaCie enclosure may be the failed component, with the hard drive still intact. Get it out of the enclosure and try connecting it to your Mac with an (S)ATA-USB2 adaptor, like this Newer Technology Universal Drive Adapter -... (U2NV2SPATA) at OWC (there are cheaper alternatives, check Amazon).

If the external drive is SATA, there's also the option of using a dock like this Voyager by NewerTech- Hard Drive Dock for 3.5" and 2.5" SATA Devices provides high-performance and flexibility. Slightly cheaper, but limited to SATA only.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.