My wife and I are drinking the iPhone 4 Kool-Aid. QUESTIONS!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook(3,1): C2D 2.2ghz, 4g RAM, 10.7.5; iMac(12,1): 2.5ghz i5, 16gb RAM, 10.9.1; iPhone5S iOS7.04
Yes, we both know about the antenna issues. We also know that Apple will provide bumpers, and even then, I'm enough of a techie that I can figure out how to put a piece of tape on a phone!

Anyway, just one thing I want to get off my chest, then I'll get to my real question:

We went to the Apple Store yesterday. I personally tried three iPhone 4s. I made phone calls on all three. I tried the "death grip" on all three of them. Calls weren't dropped signals weren't weakened. When the death grip didn't work, I tried pretty much every conceivable way of holding the things. No issues. Tried using my cheek to disconnect the call with the "End Call" button -- didn't happen. Basically, it passed my tests. I found my wife, who was also trying out an iPhone 4, and told her that I tried everything to get the call to disconnect or the signal to drop, and nothing happened. A worker at the store overheard me, rolled his eyes, and made some comment about how people really need to just calm the heck down about it. It's obvious this issue is not affecting everybody.

Having said that, here are my questions:

1) We were going to get our iPhones at Best Buy, as we want Reward Zone points, and their protection plans have saved our hineys on more than one occasion. Thing is, Apple Care doesn't cover accidental damaged, does it? That's one reason I'd go with the Best Buy plan for portable stuff -- portables are more likely to get damaged from accidents. And the problem: Best Buy is basically beyond sold out, and we can't even order the phones from there. So I'm considering a third-party warranty. Who are some reputable warranty providers who will cover accidental damage?

2) Forgot to ask the folks at the Apple Store, but...my wife and I currently use the LG enV2 with Verizon Wireless. Will the folks at the Apple Store be able to transfer any data to the iPhone? FWIW, I do semi-regularly back up the data in my phone with BitPIM, but if the Apple Store can't do it, is there an easy way to transfer the data from BitPIM (like, say, CSV file)???

Thanks, all...and we did put our names on the reservation list. We're very antsy. :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15.4" MacBook Pro 8GB Ram, 500GB HD, Have been an Apple guy since 2002, and will NEVER GO BACK =)
you haven't had a problem with testing those ones out because ALOT of them DON'T have ANY problems! =) It's just that the 0.01% of people who are having problems are complaining to everyone and anyone that will listen to them about it.

As far as a warranty, I have seen a few third party, but other than moisture damage, I have yet to have a problem with the applecare.... What are your fears with getting AppleCare?

There were even a few times that with more than negligent damage on my OLD 3G, the genius bar folks STILL found a way to replace my phone for FREE.

If I were very hard on devices, I would go get a good sturdy OtterBox, the applecare, and not talk on it while flushing the toilet, or while swimming =)

As far as the LG enV2 with Verizon Wireless issue, I don't know if they can, for one reason only, because of verizon's wonderful lack of SIM cards.... but if APPLE can't, AT&T CAN. They did it with my g/f's simless phone after we got her the 3gs way back last year....

HTH.

I know this wasn't much help, but I am a firm believer in AppleCare, they have always stood by me when I have had issues.... and since there is one less than 20 miles away, it's worth the drive....

OP
dauber
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook(3,1): C2D 2.2ghz, 4g RAM, 10.7.5; iMac(12,1): 2.5ghz i5, 16gb RAM, 10.9.1; iPhone5S iOS7.04
smithk2719 -- thanks for confirming exactly what I believed to be true (0.01% sounds right!)...

But while I do believe AppleCare is a good program, let's say God forbid I get my iPhone at the Apple Store in Chicago, then accidentally drop it on Michigan Avenue and it gets run over by a Hansom cab. Will AppleCare cover that damage? Probably not, but other warranties would (Best Buy I'm specifically thinking). I've been very fortunate with my portable devices, though...never dropped my MacBook, my cell phones were nice and sturdy that when I did drop 'em the worst that would happen is maybe a nick on the surface or a reboot...but I'd just like that extra assurance...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15.4" MacBook Pro 8GB Ram, 500GB HD, Have been an Apple guy since 2002, and will NEVER GO BACK =)
yes, then I would definitely look third party.... AppleCare covers their defects and minor damages that may occur... certainly not being physically damaged lol....

I have seen some ads floating around.. that costs roughly the same amount as regular cell insurance through other companies ( 6-8 bucks a month)

Which, while may be expensive, will protect you for things like moisture damage and physical damage....

I am really anal about my iphone though, I keep it in a bumper, in an oakley sunglasses case until I am ready to use it, so even if I do drop it, nothing major will happen...

However, I hope you enjoy the phone once you get it! People are blowing the few glitches way out of control, mostly due to JEALOUSY. Honestly, this phone outperforms so many platforms, and the people that don't have them are making fun of those that do because of those stupid little issues.

Just like when the "blackberry storm" was the BEST PHONE EVER, it had more issues than ever, with the push screen, to the signal, to the battery life, etc. That lasted a year. The iPhone has been around, and I am positive that if this antenna thing becomes MORE of an issue, we all KNOW Jobs will make good on this. We are too loyal of customers to not be taken care of. =)

Enjoy it!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2006 Macbook Pro 15.4" glossy screen, 2.16 ghz, 640 gb, 2 gb ram
There were even a few times that with more than negligent damage on my OLD 3G, the genius bar folks STILL found a way to replace my phone for FREE.
This is true.

My wife dropped her 3G a few months after getting it. It had a cheap silicon case and it landed on the burbur carpet at Target. There was no cosmetic damage (dents, cracked glass, etc.), but the LCD display quit working after she dropped it. When you turned on the phone it was just a big, white screen.

We took it to the apple store and explained what happened, admitting that she dropped it. They looked at it and said that even though it was dropped, it should have withstood the fall. They replaced it for free.

However, a few weeks later my wife was talking on her phone while eating spaghettios and she dropped her phone in the bowl. Some of the orange, juicy goodness got into the headphone jack and messed it up. When we tried the Apple store for this one they said they couldn't fix it for us.

I eventually got it working again by sticking a pipe cleaner in there to dislodge the junk.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.