Macbook boot problems with fresh install

Reaction score
Hi, im new to the forums, I have a black polycarbonate macbook (the last one that was for sale i think) and lately it has been having some boot problems that I just can't seem to pinpoint to something specific.

I used to have Leopard (up to the newest updates) and XP on boot camp, and rEFIt, I wanted to install win 7, so I removed xp, and rEFIit, and proceded to update. I believe since then but Im not quite sure, it started giving random bootup problems, (prohibitory sign, freezes on the grey apple, but most commonly kernel panics), I reseted the pram, and sometimes it boots sometimes it doesnt. Since I grew tired of this, i backed up my data, and performed an erase and install with leopard 10.5.2 (disks that came with the computer), and sadly I found the same issues after doing so, and thats the state I'm currently in, computer completely fresh with 10.5.2, and still having bootup issues, I've tried booting to apple hardware test both from install disk 1, and install disk 2, and it simply does nothing.
Ive searched for the kernel panic log, but there are no logs in that folder.
I've checked the disk from disk utility and it says it appears to be fine.

Hope someone can find some insight into this, thanks!
edit: to add a little more info, if i close the lid, when I open it back again the computer does not come back from sleep, it makes the hard disk sound, but the screen never turns back on.

PS: When it does boot, the computer works completely normal, Im typing this from it right now, and Im actually scared to turn it off, in fear it wont turn on again.

OP
C
Reaction score
problem sort of solved

I found out thanks to verbose boot, that the problem was with the firewire port, and since i never use firewire anyway, proceeded to move the file:

/System/Library/Extensions/IOFireWireFamily.kext

to another directory.

And voila, problem (and firewire) gone.

Just posting so it helps anyone in the same situation as me!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.