• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

newbie help

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Book Pro 15inch
hi all,

i'm new to a mac and also to these forums. I have an old sony camcorder, model no:CCD-TR748E and i'm looking to get the video off it and onto my mac to have a play with imovie, only problem is i dont know how, all the instruction say is how to get it to link to a vcr?

any help would be much appreciated!!

cheers
paul

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2013 rMBP, i7, 750m gpu, OSX versions 10.9.3, 10.10
Hi!

You've got an older camera there that records to tape and (unless I found the wrong manual) doesn't have Firewire. You'll need a video capture device to be able to capture the footage.

Something like:

Elgato Video Capture

You'd connect the video and audio out of the camcorder into something like the Elgato Video Capture product and play on the camcorder and set the software to record. Once it's done the video file will be on your computer ready for you to use.

OP
S
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Book Pro 15inch
cheers for that, i've had a butchers though and its bloody expensive for what it is, plus i only have around 3 tapes that need transferring over (never used it that much!!) any chance anyone knows of a cheaper way??

C

chas_m

If you only have three tapes that need transferring, I'd see if there are any video duplication services in town that will do that for you. You'll get better results that way anyway, since they use much more professional-level equipment.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.