Disable multitasking?

Reaction score
After playing with the phone a while, I see a long list of apps running on the task bar. I personally don't need this feature, and it's painstaking to close all the apps everytime I use the phone. Am I not aware of a way to close an app instantly? Because when I read an iOS4 preview, iirc it said only if you double click the home button, the app keeps running in the background. I tried both single- and double-click, and in both cases the app was still running. I also remember someone saying you cannot disable multitasking. I'd like other people to confirm this.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
You can't disable it. It doesn't really use up any resources, so I'm not sure why you necessarily want to?

Reaction score
Most (to all) of those apps in the "recent app dock" are not running in the background. They are there to show you which apps you have recently used. Apps will only be backgrounded if they are updated for iOS4 and utilize one of the seven APIs for multitasking (ie a radio app playing music or a GPS app tracking your location).

Perhaps a kill all switch will be added to a later version of iOS4 if demand from users are there for it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Apple MacBook 13.3" Aluminium Intel Core 2 Duo 2.4 Ghz
After playing with the phone a while, I see a long list of apps running on the task bar. I personally don't need this feature, and it's painstaking to close all the apps everytime I use the phone. Am I not aware of a way to close an app instantly? Because when I read an iOS4 preview, iirc it said only if you double click the home button, the app keeps running in the background. I tried both single- and double-click, and in both cases the app was still running. I also remember someone saying you cannot disable multitasking. I'd like other people to confirm this.

I had this same problem as you but to be honest it doesn't slow the phone down in anyway. The reason i deleted all the running apps was because i just like it all to be tidy but after playing around i just got used to it and i leave all mine open now. :)

Reaction score
I feel stupid for asking this, but where is the task bar. I don't know if I have apps running in the background or not.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Double press the home button

OP
A
Reaction score
applebjesus said:
Most (to all) of those apps in the "recent app dock" are not running in the background. They are there to show you which apps you have recently used.

If the dock shows recent apps, how can you tell which ones are actually running?

I had this same problem as you but to be honest it doesn't slow the phone down in anyway. The reason i deleted all the running apps was because i just like it all to be tidy but after playing around i just got used to it and i leave all mine open now. :)

I don't really mind it either. I just don't want them sucking out my battery juice.

OP
A
Reaction score
Sorry for the bump, but I need some clarification.

By iOS' definition, is multitasking keeping apps running in the background, or rather pausing whatever is happening in those apps until you resume them?

C

chas_m

Sorry for the bump, but I need some clarification.

By iOS' definition, is multitasking keeping apps running in the background, or rather pausing whatever is happening in those apps until you resume them?

It's pausing them UNLESS they are using one of six predefined services Apple supports truly multitasking.

For example, a radio app will keep playing in the background (ie not be paused). A game on the other hand will be "frozen" (paused) until you resume it.

Really very clever when you think about it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MB061LL/B & iPhone4
for the record, it may be overkill but since Jailbreaking is legal now (does void Apple warranty) when you Jailbreak you can turn it -Multitasking- off.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.