iPhone 3GS signal problems after 4.0.1 update

Reaction score
Anyone experience that problem, or is it just my phone and should take it in?

I dont know what it could be, I updated and didnt pay attention to it right after the update and see if it happened right after the update or was it when it fell on the floor a little bit later. The phone was in its case and the phone seems okay in every aspect. Not freezing or slowing down. Just has poor signal!

any help will be appreciated.!

Reaction score
Anyone experience that problem, or is it just my phone and should take it in?

I dont know what it could be, I updated and didnt pay attention to it right after the update and see if it happened right after the update or was it when it fell on the floor a little bit later. The phone was in its case and the phone seems okay in every aspect. Not freezing or slowing down. Just has poor signal!

any help will be appreciated.!

I see the expected lower signal strength display but not causing a problem.

What I have noticed twice since updating is that after the phone sets for a long time and I try to use it, it will be real sluggish.
After powering off and back on, it runs normal again.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
Would be awesome if you elaborated beyond anyone having "that problem" without actually saying what "that problem" is....just saying.

Reaction score
Well I had a 3G signal problem with my iPhone 4 after upgrading to 4.0.1. What happened was when I switched from Edge to 3G it either would not switch, or it would but would not work when trying to load data. Also it seemed by just touching the outer band with three fingers (no where near the breaks in the band) would cause it to struggle. But once I set the phone down onto a desk and stopped touching the band it would start pulling data.

I reset the Network settings and that seemed to solve the problem. Maybe you should try that.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 6, iPad Air 2, 4th gen Apple TV
Well now I have less bars than I did with 4.0 in the same location, but I'm sure that is purely the algorithm change and not that I'm actually getting less reception. I noticed in locations where I now have less bars that holding my hand over the antenna drops the signal, but places where I truly have full bars holding the same way doesn't drop the signal.

It's good that Apple is giving their customers a more honest picture of the signal strength, but I'm sure all the other phone makers are laughing because ultimately it will reflect poorly on Apple having less bars than other phones. Even though it's because those other makers are going to continue to be overly generous in their signal strength display algorithms.

Personally I'm glad to have the more honest and conservative view. It's really annoying to be somewhere and supposedly have full bars, but suffer really slow connections and data speeds because the bars weren't telling the real story.

Plus, it's a real kick to those Apple haters who were saying Apple would change the algorithm to just display full bars even at the lowest signal strength. I hope it makes them secretly question their own handsets, even if they won't outwardly admit it.

Reaction score
you can only blame Apple for the incorrect display of the signal strength bars. If Apple would have given ATT any of the devices to test, like EVERY device manufacturer does, ATT would have found the problems before the consumers. But Apple being who they are, does not think anyone but them needs to test the devices.

Each wireless carrier provides the exact same information to EVERY device manufacturer to calculate the received signal strength and at which level to show what bars. Apple being who they are did not use what ATT provided and did their own calculations.

ATT did just send out updated parameters to EVERY device manufacturer as a result of this fiasco Apple caused. ATT did make some minor parameter tweaks as well to better the accuracy of the # of bars displayed for signal strength.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MB061LL/B & iPhone4
downloading iOS 4.0.1 as we speak (type) and now i'm wondering...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
If I were to take a guess, I would venture to say that the so-called bug or problem with the bar display is actually just an intentional liberal display of bars to make the phone appear to have good signal. That said, I would also venture to guess that all of the manufacturers do this sort of thing. I can't count how many times I've heard someone complain that they've had trouble with a call on "full bars". Apple seems to have simply taken an additional step to give a more honest view of signal strength, which may hurt them a little in the long run as others will probably not follow suit and keep fudging their own display of signal strength.

Just by 2 cents.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
you can only blame Apple for the incorrect display of the signal strength bars. If Apple would have given ATT any of the devices to test, like EVERY device manufacturer does, ATT would have found the problems before the consumers. But Apple being who they are, does not think anyone but them needs to test the devices.

Um, they do let AT&T test it. Oh and the FCC too....

Each wireless carrier provides the exact same information to EVERY device manufacturer to calculate the received signal strength and at which level to show what bars. Apple being who they are did not use what ATT provided and did their own calculations.

This is false. Even if the carriers give a recommended approach, not all device manufacturers follow that. As a matter of fact I just got done reading an article about how Android calculates the signal to display its own way also.

So I'm not exactly sure where you got your information from.

Reaction score
Um, they do let AT&T test it. Oh and the FCC too....

This is false. Even if the carriers give a recommended approach, not all device manufacturers follow that. As a matter of fact I just got done reading an article about how Android calculates the signal to display its own way also.

So I'm not exactly sure where you got your information from.

Ok, so that was not correct.... ATT may receive a few, but not in the numbers Rim, Motorola, Samsung, HTC, LG and so on, which is around 50 to 60 devices each of each model.

When the device manufacture does not follow the specs they are given, it just makes the carrier look bad in the eyes of the customer. Since the issue was made widely know with the problems with the iPhone 4, ATT sent updates to all manufactures to ensure they display the bars more accurately.

im not sure where i know this or how, but is sure did not come from some article on the internet.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
When the device manufacture does not follow the specs they are given, it just makes the carrier look bad in the eyes of the customer.

Actually, it can make the carrier look better if they are making it look like the signal strength is better than it is. That's good for the manufacturer and the carrier, so I doubt the carrier will make a fuss over it.

im not sure where i know this or how, but is sure did not come from some article on the internet.

???? :Confused:

Reaction score
That's the thing that bothers me even though I know it should not.

I see 1-2 bars most of the time where I use to see 2-4 bars so I try to tell myself all is well, but is that signal really that weak !!!

Seems like that will cause a new level of concern..

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
Ok, so that was not correct.... ATT may receive a few, but not in the numbers Rim, Motorola, Samsung, HTC, LG and so on, which is around 50 to 60 devices each of each model.

When the device manufacture does not follow the specs they are given, it just makes the carrier look bad in the eyes of the customer. Since the issue was made widely know with the problems with the iPhone 4, ATT sent updates to all manufactures to ensure they display the bars more accurately.

Ok, I'd like to see something to back that claim up. Find a link or give me something better than you last sentence.

schweb said:
As a matter of fact I just got done reading an article about how Android calculates the signal to display its own way also.

Link?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
baggss,
If I'm reading what he wrote correctly he essentially tried to pass of an opinion he made up as something that's factual.

I don't think you're going to get a link.

Reaction score
baggss,
If I'm reading what he wrote correctly he essentially tried to pass of an opinion he made up as something that's factual.

I don't think you're going to get a link.

Nope...no link....there is not one to provide, and im not making anything up

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac Retina 5K/3.4GHz Core i5/256GB SSD/40GB DDR4/Logitech MX Master 2S/
I did the upgrade and don't notice a problem with any calls, specifically dropping any. I do think that the phone seems more sluggish though. Its really very obvious in the camera mode... press the icon and it takes forever to actually see the camera view. And in Camera Roll... same thing, press it and what took a second before seems to take five times as long to see the pix.

All this being said, I love the 3G iPhone and will probably upgrade to the new iPhone this fall when my contract expires.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.