Mail Issue - Gmail

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac OS X v 10.5.8 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2, 2 GB 1067 MHz DDR 3
I have an issue that every time I open the Mail application on Macbook, it will auto retrieve all of my GMail messages. Normally this wouldn't be an issue, but it deletes all record of it on GMail. So if I log onto GMail from my phone the e-mails are gone. To retrieve the emails I have to open the Mail client again. Is there anyway to stop this from happening so I can use Mail client and still leave copies in my GMail account without them deleting?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini 14.3, 8.1 & 4.1, OS 13.5, 10.14, & 10.11 & 10.6; Macbook Pro 8.2, OS 10.12.
In Mail > Preferences > Accounts > Advanced uncheck 'Remove copy from server after retrieving a message'.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
Actually if you're accessing Gmail from multiple devices, it's best to set it up using IMAP instead of POP3.

OP
H
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac OS X v 10.5.8 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2, 2 GB 1067 MHz DDR 3
In Mail > Preferences > Accounts > Advanced uncheck 'Remove copy from server after retrieving a message'.

This is already done. It still removes the copy in my GMail account.

I've never had any issues with messages deleting off the GMail server when accessing it from my phone. It only happens when I open Mail that it retrieves the messages and deletes them from the GMail server.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini 14.3, 8.1 & 4.1, OS 13.5, 10.14, & 10.11 & 10.6; Macbook Pro 8.2, OS 10.12.
Try Thunderbird, even if it's just to see if it'll leave messages on the server.

Or, go to Gmail > Settings > Forwarding/POP-IMAP, to select Forward a copy and keep Gmail's copy. See if that prevents Mail removing the message from the server.

If the option in Mail is already unchecked, it suggests to me that there may be a Permissions issue. Repair them, preferably using OnyX http://www.titanium.free.fr/download.php?sid=5b38909c0c0b92ccb25ab6b1e976fad6 for your OS version.

PS. please post your Mac specs and MacOS version in your profile, it helps us to help you better.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.