OpenOffice or NeoOffice?

Reaction score
For a while, I was using Mellel (it was good, but its interface took time to get used to), but my computer died on me, and I lost Mellel in the process (while I still have the license code, they don't put old versions of Mellel on their site.)

Anyways, while I still use this great program called Scrivener (Scrivener is more useful for longer papers I find, not as useful for shorter papers), it isn't really a proper 'word processor', I was wondering which word processor people prefer, OpenOffice or NeoOffice? I know NeoOffice is a fork of OpenOffice, but is there any substantive grounds for preferring one over the other?

I generally use a word processor for writing (social science) papers for university.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I assume you're looking for a free word processor? I believe more work has been done on Open Office lately than NeoOffice. Since they're both free, you can try them out and use whichever you prefer.

Also don't overlook the free "Bean" word processor. Very well done and similar to Pages. (from the iWork suite) And the nice thing about Bean is that you don't have to download and install a complete suite just for a word processor.

Regards.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
Or use Google Docs.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini 14.3, 8.1 & 4.1, OS 13.5, 10.14, & 10.11 & 10.6; Macbook Pro 8.2, OS 10.12.
C

chas_m

As pointed out by others, neither OpenOffice nor NeoOffice is a "word processor." They are full office-style suites with word processing components (that I, as a professional writer, don't think much of quite frankly).

If all you need is a good word processor, I'll second Bean as an excellent free option. Pages 09 (part of the $79 iWork package) is also pretty outstanding now (finally) and also provides desktop publishing par excellence. Totally worth the money in my view.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
You bewdy! I never knew that existed.

Seriously, Hugh lol? Glad I could help you out then. :)

While I don't use Google Docs for heavy word processing, it is an awesome application for run of the mill stuff and it really shines when you need to work with a group on a spreadsheet or document.

Given how rapidly Google has developed it over the last few years, I wouldn't be surprised if Google Docs is able to replace a regular office suite for most home and small business users.

I honestly think it's scared Microsoft enough and that is the only reason MS is playing with a cloud-based version of Office.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 21" 8GB, MBP 15" 2.5 Penryn, 4 GB/180 GB
Actually the program that works best with Scrivener is Nisus Writer Pro. Superb program! Never crashed in all the years I have used it, seamless integration with Scrivener and Bookends. Some real power features, too.

For cross-platform work, I use NeoOffice and occasionally OpenOffice. But for work with Scrivener, there is only one choice. :)

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
I generally use a word processor for writing (social science) papers for university.
This is the part that caught my eye. If you're a student, I understand the need to go cheap. That said, your school may offer versions of the non-free office suites (such as MS Office and iWork) and a reduced rate (perhaps even free). I'd suggest taking a trip down to the campus bookstore or to the computer store/department on campus and asking if they have cheaper copies. This may help to expand your available choices.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
That's true and a good suggestion, although I've never seen a copy of Mac Office discounted beyond the Student and Teacher version at around $129. But it's definitely worth checking.

I was able to get Windows 7 and Office 2010 for about $19.00 each through my college bookstore.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I was able to get Windows 7 and Office 2010 for about $19.00 each through my college bookstore.

I checked my daughter's college book store and they do sell the above at about the same price you quoted, but unfortunately nothing for the Mac. Seems a bit ridiculous since the same bookstore sells Apple hardware (computers and iPods).

Regards.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
I just checked my campus bookstore and you get a 10, count it, $10 discount. Evidently Mac software doesn't get the same treatment as Windows software when it comes to student discounts. I've never really paid much attention to them as I've never really needed it but now it is very obvious where the discounts are. Although that may be the case with Microsoft, Adobe software is priced the same regardless of OS.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 21" 8GB, MBP 15" 2.5 Penryn, 4 GB/180 GB
That's because MS has a vested interest in the Windows OS and what better way than flooding the market with office programs for cheap.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.