Droid X and the Bar Dropping Grip of Death

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2006 Macbook Pro 15.4" glossy screen, 2.16 ghz, 640 gb, 2 gb ram
Very interesting.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 6, iPad Air 2, 4th gen Apple TV
Hopefully someone can post a video that isn't total crap.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MB061LL/B & iPhone4
Steve was right...

(and yea, that video is sub-par)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookAir5,2:10.13.6-iMac18,3:10.13.6-iPhone9,3:11.4.1
It's OK, Steve said all the cool phones are doing it. ;)

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
It's OK, Steve said all the cool phones are doing it. ;)

Every and I repeat every cell phone I have here old to new if I grip it around the antenna does what those videos are showing. I don't make things up. Like I said in another thread, you have to be in an area where the signal is low to begin with.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
Every and I repeat every cell phone I have here old to new if I grip it around the antenna does what those videos are showing. I don't make things up. Like I said in another thread, you have to be in an area where the signal is low to begin with.

Yep. Happens on my 3G in my living-room. Always has.

I have some Droid loving friends that aren't going to like that very much though.

Reaction score
I can one up ya. I can sit my ip4 down and not even touch it and drop all 5 bars and then go back up and down etc. with an endless cycle. This is also my 2nd ip4 to do the same thing. I wish Verizon was around here, I would get that beast of a phone. At least for the droidx, you may be able to fix it with software as the antennae is on the INSIDE OF THE PHONE!!! :)

C

chas_m

As demonstrated in the video posted today by Apple (specifically using an HTC Android phone), it doesn't matter that much if the antenna is inside the phone.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
I can one up ya. I can sit my ip4 down and not even touch it and drop all 5 bars and then go back up and down etc. with an endless cycle. This is also my 2nd ip4 to do the same thing. I wish Verizon was around here, I would get that beast of a phone. At least for the droidx, you may be able to fix it with software as the antennae is on the INSIDE OF THE PHONE!!! :)

That just sounds to me like AT&T has crap coverage at your house. Don't blame the phone.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S

Just don't get it. I had the first gen iPhone, skipped the 3G and upgraded to the 3GS. I have yet to sit around and stare at the status bar. Don't have a clue if the bars go up and down while sitting in one spot or not and don't really care if they do as long as the phone is working when I make a call.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Just don't get it. I had the first gen iPhone, skipped the 3G and upgraded to the 3GS. I have yet to sit around and stare at the status bar. Don't have a clue if the bars go up and down while sitting in one spot or not and don't really care if they do as long as the phone is working when I make a call.

Bob, at the end of the day that is really what matters does it not? Making your phone call. If you can make the call and all is fine, who cares about anything else! :D

Only time I really check signal on my 3G is in the mountains (which is rare for me now) as signal there is spotty and here at the house as like I said, I am in a dead area.

Well said.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
Reaction score
Funny because that's not what the video shows... lol

And I would hope they could fit 2 antennas in that thing given it's the size of a small house.

I was being sarcastic there in response to the video and I forgot to add a smiley to the end of my reply.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 6, iPad Air 2, 4th gen Apple TV
???

At least for the droidx, you may be able to fix it with software as the antennae is on the INSIDE OF THE PHONE!!! :)

Is that a bad sarcastic remark? If not, how does the physical location of the antenna enable it to be fixed with software? :Confused:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Some quick observations... I've had the Droid X since Friday now. I've been able to get bars to drop by holding it with my hand around the bottom and/or top of the handset. I have not, however, been able to terminate in progress calls or stop data flow completely (like an on-off switch) as I could do with my returned iPhone 4. I should also add that I have no case for it as of yet. A Seidio Innocase is on the way.

So... yes, the DX does lose displayed bars as the iPhone 4 did. My dB value fluctuates between -72 and -98. The FCC app shows that I seem to score consistently ~700k upload/download rates on 3G. My iPhone 4 fluctuated wildly between 0 and ~2000k in 3G. Both phones seem to have excellent wireless N speeds in the 8-9999k realm with an Airport Extreme Wireless N base station operating in single band 2.4Ghz mode. Take it for what it's worth - not much.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch Early 2008; Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; Memory 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM; 10.7.5
Some quick observations... I've had the Droid X since Friday now. I've been able to get bars to drop by holding it with my hand around the bottom and/or top of the handset. I have not, however, been able to terminate in progress calls or stop data flow completely (like an on-off switch) as I could do with my returned iPhone 4. I should also add that I have no case for it as of yet. A Seidio Innocase is on the way.

So... yes, the DX does lose displayed bars as the iPhone 4 did. My dB value fluctuates between -72 and -98. The FCC app shows that I seem to score consistently ~700k upload/download rates on 3G. My iPhone 4 fluctuated wildly between 0 and ~2000k in 3G. Both phones seem to have excellent wireless N speeds in the 8-9999k realm with an Airport Extreme Wireless N base station operating in single band 2.4Ghz mode. Take it for what it's worth - not much.

So, any chance of you starting a new thread for a review or mini review of your new phone ? It's on my "to be considered" list, though I'm still leaning towards the EVO 4G and Sprints unlimited data plan.

Doug

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
So, any chance of you starting a new thread for a review or mini review of your new phone ? It's on my "to be considered" list, though I'm still leaning towards the EVO 4G and Sprints unlimited data plan.

Doug

Yeah, I was thinking of doing one, but wasn't sure there was any general interest. I'll have to put something together. Actually, I was thinking of hitting up CWA (DInc-owner) as well to get a sort of "how to" going for syncing Android OS wit the various OS X applications (Address Book, iCal, iPhoto, etc...).

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yeah, I was thinking of doing one, but wasn't sure there was any general interest. I'll have to put something together. Actually, I was thinking of hitting up CWA (DInc-owner) as well to get a sort of "how to" going for syncing Android OS wit the various OS X applications (Address Book, iCal, iPhoto, etc...).

For sure put a review together. Would be interesting and also help others interested in the Droid. Also like you said you and CWA could provide help for those with Macs and Android phones.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.