MacBook Pro won't recognize external drives via firewire

Reaction score
Hi-

In the spirit of full disclosure, I am merely a computer user, not a "computer guy".

I have three external drives and my mac does not recognize them any more. Tried different cables & different drives and no icon appears, nor do I see it via the finder. I checked the port itself and it appears good, but it's hard to tell by looking.

Can anyone recommend a good troubleshooting system for this? Is there a way to have the ports disabled that may have occurred accidentally? Any test I can conduct?

Thanks in advance-
J

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Try running the Apple Hardware Test. You'll need your recovery - install DVD in order to do it. See the following Apple KB article. LINK

You might also try opening the System Profiler (it's located in Applications, utilities) to see if the firewire port is showing up.

Regards.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.