What program should i use to run windows 7 on mac?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15"MBP touchbar 2.9 GHz, 16GB, Radeon Pro 460
i read the sticky they have in this forum but i am still a little bit confused.

I need to run windows Because i need to use AutoCAD This will be the only program i will actually need

i read that boot camp is the best for running cad programs but lets be frank i don't want to have to boot every time i want to change back to mac.

sometimes I'm using several programs at once (photoshop, sketch up and archicad or vector works in this case i need to use auto cad this next semester)
and as i said before i only want to run auto cad on windows nothing more.

but is parallels or the other one similar to that good for running such a big program? it does not matter if its more expensive i just want the best thing available

im on a macbook pro 2.66ghz i7 500gb

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Unfortunately, AutoCad does not run well from a VM, however, there have been improvements in the latest releases of both Parallels and VMWare Fusion with regard to 3D rendering. But neither still is able to perform like real Windows.

What I would suggest is to give Parallels a try. Download their trial version and see how well it runs your copy of AutoCad. If the results are as I suspect, less than satisfactory, delete it and go to using Windows from a Boot Camp partition. You have all Summer to decide....

Regards.

Reaction score
VirtualBox works great - but it's 3D graphics performance lags well behind Parallels and Fusion - the OP wants to run AutoCad, so that's quite relevant. The OP might be best served running Windows under Boot Camp as a result, but Parallels and Fusion (both of which have free trial versions) are definitely worth trying first.

Cheers

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.