Dented MacBook Pro.

Reaction score
So, i had been watching a film on my MacBook Pro 15" unibody, fell asleep then woke up and realised i'd pushed the laptop onto the floor, where it had hit something, leaving two hefty dents (several inches across) the panel on the back of screen. I'm absolutely gutted, though i suppose it could have been a lot worse.

Is it possible to get this panel replaced or repaired and if so, does anyone have a ballpark figure as to how much it might cost. I'm in the UK by the way.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
So, i had been watching a film on my MacBook Pro 15" unibody, fell asleep then woke up and realised i'd pushed the laptop onto the floor, where it had hit something, leaving two hefty dents (several inches across) the panel on the back of screen. I'm absolutely gutted, though i suppose it could have been a lot worse.

Is it possible to get this panel replaced or repaired and if so, does anyone have a ballpark figure as to how much it might cost. I'm in the UK by the way.

You're certainly not the first person to do this...I've seen at least a few folks post here on Mac-Forums who have done the same thing...and had the same thing (dents) be the result.

I'm not exactly sure how much the part(s) would cost in the UK...but depending on the panel you need...I've seen prices around $250 US dollars...plus labor if you can't do it yourself.

If we knew exactly what model MacBook Pro you have...and exactly what's damaged...we might be able to "fine tune" the parts cost.

Hope this helps,

- Nick

OP
W
Reaction score
Cheers for the response.

That laptop is the 15" MacBook Pro unibody bought mid-2009. I presume that the approach would be to replace the metal panel on the back of the screen, is this possible?

$250...wow, this could turn out to be the most expensive nap i've ever had. Genuinely gutted, i've been thinking about it all day it's really quite pathetic!

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
$250...wow, this could turn out to be the most expensive nap i've ever had. Genuinely gutted, i've been thinking about it all day it's really quite pathetic!

Could have been worse. If the fall had damaged the logic board in some way...a new logic board could cost $800+.

- Nick

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
For some weird reason the site I usually go to doesn't have the top panel where the display is. The site has the bottom panel ($199) & the keyboard panel ($299). And just in case you were curious...a replacement logic board is $899.

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
Reaction score
Hey, I know how you feel about your Mac! Mine's been having problems for about two weeks now, even after being in the shop, and I've only had it for a month! It's the worst feeling in the world.

I agree with Pigoo (Nick). It could've been a LOT worse. It's just an aesthetic issue now. However, I hope you get it resolved as quickly and painlessly as you possibly can!

OP
W
Reaction score
Thanks again for the responses.

Nah 6String, that's the screen housing for the old MacBook Pro, it's the new style like this: http://www.paulpeelen.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/05/apple-macbook-unibody.jpg. I Have a bad feeling the screen and housing are a single unit, meaning it would cost an arm and a leg to replace?

I'm dreaming i'll walk into the Mac shop and they'll tell me a new lid without the screen will be £50 but that's just not going to happen. Still, as said, it could have been worse.

...Nonetheless, i still feel as if i've been dented myself, how could i be so careless i do not know.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.