Got an old iBook - My 1st Mac

Reaction score
I have just gotten a 2001, 2nd Generation iBook from a friend of mine. It's got MAC OS X 10.3.9 on it, and I looked up the specs for it, and it has a PowerPC G3 series 600 mhz processor. I think it also has a 20 GB HD in it.

Now, my biggest concern, is how in the **** do I use it. Lulz, I mean, it runs great, and it seems to be much easier to surf the web than my PC desktop with Win 7 on it, but aside from opening Opera, I don't know any of it's functions. Some things I would like to know:

- How do I remove/add applications and software.
- How do I defragment, or otherwise clean up my hard drive and save space/improve performance.
- How do I play music, and DvD's (I have a DVD ROM Drive)
- What sort of games are available to me (Solitaire like games, not large, 3d ones)
- I have Photoshop 7.0; will it run on this?

A bunch of questions, I know, but hopefully you guys can answer them for me. I have an older Mac, so I wanted to make a new thread because I was not sure if the OS was different these days.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2012 MBP i7 2.7 GHz 15" Matte - 16 GB RAM - 120 GB Intel SSD - 500 GB DataDoubler Mac OS 10.9
content

Applications can be found here, here, and here.
Installing/Unistalling Mac Applications

I'm no expert but I'm pretty sure that defragmenting/cleaning up the HD is not necessary on Mac. I don't do either of these things on my Mac and it runs fine.
I delete personal stuff and applications that I don't use anymore but thats about it.

I assume you have iTunes installed? Insert music cd and import the songs into iTunes, then listen to them.
DVDs can be played with the DVD player. Insert Disk and open the DVD player.

Check the application download sites for games, you might have a bit of trouble finding games for 10.3 as we are up to 10.6 already.

Photoshop may work if it isn't a windows version, someone was using it in Mac OS 10.4 so it should work on 10.3.

This book will be a great help if you want to learn more about your Mac
Mac OS X: The Missing Manual, Panther Edition - O'Reilly Media

C

chas_m

Mac 101 is intended for users of the current software (10.6), but 90% applies to any OS X Mac.

As I'm sure you understand, that's a pretty old Mac and resources that will run on it are getting a bit more scarce now. That said, here's the correct version of iTunes for you to use.

I hope you enjoy the G3 iBook enough to start thinking about a more modern Mac soon. It will open up a huge world of possibilities.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.